DR650, F650GS Dakar, or G5 Classic?

Ducks

Adventurer
Hi All,

I want to get back into ridding again. I haven't ridden for 15 years and back then it was on a Katana 600. I have a 45 minute commute each way primarily on highway. But I want to get off-road and learn how to ride that way. I also hope to make a trip down to Baja or Costa Rica in 2011 or 2012. (I'm going on the Alaska Cruiser Trek in 2010, so that year is already planned.) I've been reading about dual sport motorcycles in the Overland Journal and I think I've narrowed down the search to three -

1. Suzuki DR650 - simple, reliable design. 50mpg. But there is something about it that I don't really like.

2. 2009 Royal Enfield G5 Classic - Overland Journal is doing an extended test on this motorcycle. 85mpg. Cruising speed is 70mph but I guess the bike is slow. I talked with a dealer for awhile about this bike but they are on order right now and I didn't get to test ride one.

3. 2006 BMW F650GS or 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar - I guess I'm leaning towards this bike right now. 70 - 75mpg. Plenty of power for what I am interested in. The Dakar is more dirt worthy but I don't know if the seat is too high or not. Is just the F650GS good enough to take off-road? I'd like to get dual-spark but the Dakar has 2" more ground clearance, better suspension, and a 21" front wheel.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

:beer: Chad

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Damn, can't help you with that choice, all interesting options. Maybe I'll make it harder for you: Triumph Scrambler? ;)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I ride a Dakar and it will do everything you are asking for except for the 70-75 mpg part. I have never seen those kind of numbers for mileage. I have had no problem in the past of doing back to back 400 mile days with some dirt.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Having owned both a DR650 and the Dakar, I'd go with the DR. Sure the Dakar has more HP, but it also has more weight and you can really tell. The Dakar felt as heavy as any of the bigger bikes that I owned, including the Triumph Tigers, Buell Ulysses, and the DL650 (weestrom). I never got out of the 50's as far as MPG, and fully loaded with side panniers, I had a DR650 pull away from me in the mountains. I like the DR simply because it is simple, there is nothing to break on the bike other than the mirrors or levers. It won't be as road friendly as the Dakar, right out of the box, but with some mods such as a seat, maybe a bigger tank, and a small windscreen (Dakar one works great), you'll be set. The seat is another mod you will probably end up doing on both bikes. You can get a new DR for the price of a used 01 Dakar. If going with a Dakar, steer clear of the 01's as they had surging issues. I had one and it wasn't as bad as some that I heard about but it was there.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My '07 650GS (not a Dakar) would cruise all day long at 55 - 60mph getting better than 70mpg. But get it on the freeway at 75 - 80mph, it was closer to 55 - 60mpg.

If you have read the Summer issue of the Overland Journal, then you know that the 650GS is a capable machine in the dirt. If not, re-read the Trans-America Trail article. My 650GS went everywhere Scott's 950 Adventure did. Sure, the 950 has a much better suspension, 50% more ground clearance, nearly double the horsepower....but the 650 hit the beach at the same time that the 950 did.

The RE is a cool bike, but lets be honest...it really isn't a "dual sport" in the traditional sense. It is certainly capable of tackling dirt roads...but so is my Honda CM400. If you are moving slow, the RE will get you there provided you put the appropriate tires under it. Just watch out for the big ledges and steps, it doesn't have the ground clearance for the big ones.

Ducks

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply Brian. I was wondering what you were riding. Well, if you can do the TAT on an F650GS (not Dakar) then I think that is what I'll go with. The ABS is a nice option since I am somewhat rusty at riding. But you can turn it off for off-road stuff. The BMW also seems like the best option for all the commuting that I'll be doing. Thanks for all the replies. Now I just need to make the purchase and start riding! :victory:

dirtysouth

Adventurer
The Rotax engines in the BMW 650's (older ones), are great motors. I'd guess that they are probably as bullet proof as one could hope for. I had a Aprilia Falco with a Rotax engine, and it was so lovely. :bike_rider:

scarysharkface

Explorer
Completely agree about the Rotax motors.

The RE is not a bike that pops into my mind when I think of being on an adventure in the middle of nowhere, but I think they're a cool bike. I would be concerned about reliability over the long-haul (I would guess similar to a late-60's Honda) and parts availability out in the boonies.

While I would probably love the BMW, the Suzuki is simple, bullet-proof and light.

In the end, they're all fun... :bike_rider:

John

T.Low

Expedition Leader
One angle you may want to consider:

You say you are getting back into it and learning dirt. In my experience (both 1st hand and 2nd hand obsevations) that means there will be a learning curve. Learning curves with big trailie dual sports can be costly.

My preferred Method of Operation in these circumstances is to narrow down my chocies and then let the market decide between them. Look for the best deal out there on a used one that comes already farkled up (this can be a big $ saver right here) , low hours, and already has the first two or three scratches on it, but has been well maintained. They are definitely out there.

Then you can continue to "shop" for your dream bike as you continue to develop as a rider and gain experience and knowledge on your "good deal" bike. Knowing all the while that because you bought smart, you can sell at or above your initial purchase price once you decide what bike will really suit your riding needs.

RIde your "good deal" bike for a season (drop it a couple times without too much worry) , pack it with your camping gear to see if you're happy with the panniers and how it handles loaded up, etc, and its a pretty good bet that your perspective on what you want will change as you develop as a rider.

Good luck, have fun with it, and be safe.

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
The DR 650 will be better in the dirt, the 650 GS & Dakar will be better on road. The BMW will also be more comfortable and has a huge aftermarket and a strong club . Decide what's important to you because both are good bikes.

Regarding the Royal Enfield. Loads of fun but not a bike that is going to be happy on the interstate.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12