Drawers With Out Slides

Mtn Mike

Observer
Mike do you think that if the drawers were full height in the back it would help with not tipping when pulled out? do other people have this issue too?

Good point. I guess that would keep it from tipping, at least until they were pulled all the way out.

Hawkeye

Observer
IMO. I don't like drawers without ball baring slides/glides. I have had many drawer systems and untill now they have always had kv 8900 drawer glides. I recently made a set of drawers with UHMW strips for glides. They work, but I cannot open and close the drawers as easily as when using steel glides. With heavy duty drawer glides I can put 300lbs in the drawer and it will open as easily as if it were empty. I love ball baring glides and you will too.
The one place that I would consider using no glides or UHMW would be on a system that has smaller drawers. Maybe an FJC or if you wanted to devide a larger system into 4 drawers. But with a large system like in an fj80 I perfer large drawers for easy access and Heavy duty ball baring glides.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I think I'm on my 3rd drawer system - all built without sliders

My latest I used a PTFE coated plywood for the drawers which works brilliantly.

Its used for making concrete formers and so has a slipy plastic coating to help release from the concrete after its dry.

To stop the drawers tilting make the back or sides of the drawer the same height as the space, then they can't tilt.

Obviously though at the end of its travel you wil have a lot of weight pushing against the top cover.

I have my drawers arranged so the least used equipment is at the back

I leave about 2mm of space sides and top, they don't mover around at all during driving

java

Expedition Leader
i didnt even think about form boards! great idea, maybe just use it on the bottom on the drawer? i even have some sitting around but its 5/4 :(

mosupernak

Adventurer
I plan on building a set w/o slides here in the next few days. Glad I read this the UHMW-PE sounds like the way to go. Considering removing the rear seats completely for some extra storge space (maybe for a future fridge), 2 big drawers in the back, and leaving room around the wheel well covers for an air compressor/dual battery setup. I'll strart posting pics when I get to work.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've built drawers with out slide that work very well.

I used some small nylon glides. One on each side of the bottom of the cabinet in front that the drawer sides ride on and one on the top of each drawer side in the back that rides on the cabinet. Last I used a couple on the bottom of rear side to support the back of the drawer.

This was on a built in cabinet I made for my son's closet. He used them for 10 or more years and they were still fine when we moved out.

Dennx

Adventurer
I went with 200LB rated slides.

096c0adc.jpg

Dennx

Adventurer
I love this design! Wish you were in the drawer storage business, I would be sending payment in a heartbeat!!

Thanks! If I had the time and the wood shop to produce a reasonably priced product I would consider it. Otherwise these would be expensive to make.

BBQ BOY

I went with 200LB rated slides.

096c0adc.jpg

Looks great. How much do you think you have invested? I am still trying to decide wether or not to pay someone to build me some drawers for my 100 series Land Cruiser, or, just buy the ARB drawers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan