Dual Group 31 Odyssey Battery Mount

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I removed the backseat on my crewcab and have begun to convert the area into storage. Step one was to fab a mount for my dual Odyssey batteries. I mounted the carrier to the body mount bolts at the rear of the cab and the factory seatbelt locations in the front. I am creating an electrical system comprised of three odyssey batteries; one under the hood and two mounted in the cab. The system is charged by a 200 amp Powermaster alternator and a 120 watt solar panel. I plan to charge my camera batteries, laptop and run a fridge. I have not done much fab work the last few years, kind of rusty but I am happy with the way it turned out. Huge thanks go to Andy Cohen @ Caboose trailers/ Crap Industries for letting me use his shop.

Last edited:

docmaas

Adventurer
check out sterling alternator/battery to battery chargers and ctek dc-dc chargers

In the alternator version of the sterling you can get up to 100 amps of smart/staged charging with the battery to battery I think the max available is 50. CTEK also makes the 250ds and smartpass combo that allow up to 80 amps and includes an mppt solar controller. You probably don't need more than about 48 amps with two group 31s to meet the recommended 20% charge rate. Both the sterling and ctek products also protect and charge the chassis battery as well.

I'm using the ctek combo with an inverter for a similar setup in my Provan Astro Tiger though I think I wil hold off until I see if one group 31 is enough. Last year it wasn't getting charged fully except when I found time and place to use my ctek on it. Turned out the converter charger that was documented as a 3 stage smart charger never gets out of the first stage unless it has pretty severe loads. The solenoid setup only delivered 13.7v to the house battery. These smart dc-dc chargers promise to improve things.

Nice tray by the way.;<)

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior