Dual Sport Fever.... need advice!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Ujoint, Everybody has given you some great advice, I have been riding for about 30 years and today it seems there is no really bad bike every bike I swing a leg over I find something I like about it. My last few bikes always gravitate towards KTMs I really like them. I ride big bikes but I really really like the ktm 400 I have a friend that has one and man I think that is great bike. It still has plenty power but is light enough you can through it around and not to tall. I think it would be a very good starter bike. But really about any 400 size bike would be what I would recommend, anything smaller you will quickly out grow and anything bigger will wear you out wrestling with it if it does not scare the bajesus out of you first.
Derek

I ride a wr250r and really like it. I'm 5'-9" and the bike was a bit tall for me. I installed a Yamalink and lowered it by about 2" and that helped with the off-camber toe touchs. You'll notice that the fuel injection doesn't like to be lugged...high rpm is a must. And with the stock gearing, 85+ mph is easy with the 6-speed gearbox.:Wow1: I may swap out the rear spocket with a few extra teeth for less top end and a bit more bottom end pulling power with loaded panniers.

I've always ridden "Red" but am not disappointed with the blue machine. Good luck...:bike_rider:

Chris-

Your friend is right, you need a bigger bike than the WR250.

The thought of a 400+ four your first bike may sound a little intimidating, but I'm certain that this is where you'll want to be, and that anything smaller will leave you desiring more after your first couple of attempts at highway speeds and/or hills. You're a big guy, and I truly believe you'd be disappointed with a 250 after a few days/rides in a real-world setting.

I say forgo the WR250 and step up to a bike that fits your size.

-J

mcgovski

Adventurer
Chris
I have NOT been riding a long time. (I am 6'0", 150lbs) In fact a got my first motorcycle last October, a KTM 640A. I think not knowing anything about what you can and cannot do on a bigger motorcycle has played to my advantage. While I prefer fire roads and easy trail, I have ridden that big ktm in some very steep, loose, exposed terrain. I have had guys come up to me in the middle of no where on some sketchy trail say, "I have been riding for 100 years and your bike is too big to be out here etc" I just laugh and ride away. Oh, this bike also has about a 400 mile range with an 8 gallon tank. On more than one occasion I have had to "share" gas with a little 250. My wife got the dual sport bug shortly after me. She rode the KTM around, but the 8 gallon gas tank proved to be too top heavy for her, so we found her a nice drz400. She is 5'9" and weighs 130lbs and she tears around on that thing no problem, wooded single track to big open roads...problem now is that she wants more power...
this of course is just my opinion and my experiences that I have had since getting the dual sport fever. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Navman

Adventurer
Chris-

Your friend is right, you need a bigger bike than the WR250.

The thought of a 400+ four your first bike may sound a little intimidating, but I'm certain that this is where you'll want to be, and that anything smaller will leave you desiring more after your first couple of attempts at highway speeds and/or hills. You're a big guy, and I truly believe you'd be disappointed with a 250 after a few days/rides in a real-world setting.

I say forgo the WR250 and step up to a bike that fits your size.

-J

I have no experience on the R250R, but there are plenty of big guys on ADVR that would disagree with that.

java

Expedition Leader
i love my 250 for trails etc but i wouldnt want to ride it on the freeway, around town to the grocery store sure but not long freeway rides. its a kx250f

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ujoint, Did you find a bike? I have had 8 including 3 250's. They are great for a novice but do scream at times. A 650 is more of a fast desert bike and freeway bike due to the weight and rake of steering. I just bought a XR400R that was titled and registered for the street. It's probably the best for weight handling ,longevity and power if you mainly ride dirt. The new bikes like KTM and Honda need a rebuild after 90 hours but the old XR's are 50,000 mile motors. The XRL 250's are a little heavy and have weaker suspension but if you can find a regular XR 250 thats been street legalized that would be a wonderfull trail bike. I needed the 400 due to the loss of power we get way up high in the mountains and they only weigh 10 lbs more than a 250. They are getting hard to find and hold there value. I paid 2K and that was a deal for a clean one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior