easiest fix ever! heads up for the GM guys

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So over the summer the "service 4wd" message started flashing from time to time in the 03 Yukon, end of September it became almost a daily thing(including the occasional switching itself into 4wd) and after watching a few replacement videos I ordered a new switch the other day. Tonight it took all of 6 minutes to swap in the new switch and the issues are gone, I can hear the transfer case instantly switching between modes and life is good again! So if you start getting that message the switch was all of $21 and is the place to start before crawling under the truck, from my research it seems 80-90% were resolved with the new switch.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So the story is... if parts are broken, to fix them? :ugh:

The moral of the story is, start with the switch first because it is usually the culprit and easiest to access, but I know that is what you were trying to say. It's a fairly common issue with the GM trucks that have the push-button 4wd, hence the reason for the posted thread.

GHI

Adventurer
Thanks. I appreciate these types of announcements. If it took you 6 minutes that probably means it will take me an hour though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You know I've been getting that message intermittently too. I actually ordered a new motor for the T-case back in June and it's still sitting on a shelf in my garage, haven't had time to do the motor swap. Since it's too late to return the motor, I'll probably install it eventually but I think I may try the switch thing first.
I think with the motor one thing that causes these kinds of failures is under-use. I think if you "exercise" the 4wd system monthly it will work much better when you need it.
Still, for a $21, < 1 hour fix, replacing the switch probably isn't a bad idea.
EDITED TO ADD: I like that Chevy went with an external motor for these transfer cases, even if it does mean a possibly higher failure rate. When I had my 4runner and frequented the 4runner message boards, there were dire warnings to exercise the 4wd system at least monthly to avoid a failed motor. This was important because on the Toyotas, the motor is inside a sealed T-case, and the only way to repair/replace it is to pull the T-case out and open it up at a cost of $2500 or so (most of that, obviously, being labor.)
My external motor was about $200 and I think I've watched enough YouTube videos of the replacement process that I could do it in an afternoon with basic hand tools.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You know I've been getting that message intermittently too. I actually ordered a new motor for the T-case back in June and it's still sitting on a shelf in my garage, haven't had time to do the motor swap. Since it's too late to return the motor, I'll probably install it eventually but I think I may try the switch thing first.
I think with the motor one thing that causes these kinds of failures is under-use. I think if you "exercise" the 4wd system monthly it will work much better when you need it.
Still, for a $21, < 1 hour fix, replacing the switch probably isn't a bad idea.
EDITED TO ADD: I like that Chevy went with an external motor for these transfer cases, even if it does mean a possibly higher failure rate. When I had my 4runner and frequented the 4runner message boards, there were dire warnings to exercise the 4wd system at least monthly to avoid a failed motor. This was important because on the Toyotas, the motor is inside a sealed T-case, and the only way to repair/replace it is to pull the T-case out and open it up at a cost of $2500 or so (most of that, obviously, being labor.)
My external motor was about $200 and I think I've watched enough YouTube videos of the replacement process that I could do it in an afternoon with basic hand tools.

I would imagine part of the issue is due to the lack of use, then when you do use 4wd the extra amp draw affects the resistance through the switch and causes it to fail. The video I posted above shows how wacky the resistance gets when he tests the switch.

Thanks for the heads up and video tip. My &#8220;new to me&#8221; low mileage 2002 Chevy 2500HD spent time sitting in a pole barn. Exercising the 4WD is good advice for ALL systems, electrical and vacuum acuated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears