Eco Hubs

Xengineguy

For anyone that has or is considering a Stewart Stevenson for adventure camping etc.
Eco Hubs replace the 2:1 gear reduction with direct drive. This simple modification
increases fuel mileage or vehicle range. Increases comfortable cruise speed to over 65/70 mph.
reduces engine temperature, extends drive line life and reduces maintenance costs.. Dramatically
reduces in cab noise! Pm for more information. Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpeg
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2158.jpeg
    IMG_2158.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17

Deleted Member 183

:ROFLMAO: That is just what a S&S LMTV needs! Given that their transfer case doesn't have a low range and the CTIS systems usually are flawed. I can see one getting stuck on a sandy beach and their rig becoming... a permanent BEACH FRONT COTTAGE! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That is unless your have a buddy with an Oshkosh 8x8 wrecker! LMTV's are fleet vehicles, DOD never intended them to be "stand alone" as independent vehicles!

Xengineguy

I’m sure I don’t have your experience or unlimited knowledge. But I will say this conversion works very well. It transforms a truck that is geared more like a tractor
into something that gets much better mileage and is very fun to drive.
The engine is now operating in the proper RPM range to make peek horsepower.
I have customers with 6x6 trucks with camper/habitat and pulling 20,000 lb
trailer doing just fine with this set up.
I guess you know what you know😂🤣😂🤣!!

Deleted Member 183

I do actually have experience driving LMTV off road in deep sand and know for a fact that even with the tires fully aired down they are not geared low enough for soft sand.

libby at the dunes 1 035.jpg
You are obviously mechanically talented with a machine shop (or have a relationship with one that is willing to make small batches of parts for you)... Why don't you design and build an adapter of an "off the shelf" 2-speed transfer case to replace the Allison drop box? If i remember correctly, the drop box's have some gear reduction in them as well.

Deleted Member 183

I also think I should share a word of warning with you... If a LMTV with your hub/ gearing adapters is traveling faster (or not) than the tires are rated for and has a "catastrophic" crash, expect the lawyers to be knocking on your door! In my 40+ years of manufacturing ( I own a 5 axis NC shop) I have had plenty (as in too many) of those "door knocks" from product liability attorneys. Not fun or cheap!

So I think I'll just quote you.;)
I guess you know what you know😂🤣😂🤣!!

Last edited:

Xengineguy

I do actually have experience driving LMTV off road in deep sand and know for a fact that even with the tires fully aired down they are not geared low enough for soft sand.
Well I don’t have personal experience with a Lmtv in “soft” sand. However I do have a customer with a rig that weighs 40000lbs. truck and trailer. That recently did some off roading in Moab. He didn’t seem to have a problem.
I’m actually looking forward to a trip to Grayling Michigan to do some testing on tank trails there. Lots of sand and crazy hills.
As far as product liability goes, it’s always a possibility that some one will Sue you.
You could be manufacturing plastic spoons and some dummy will Sue you.
I choose not to live in fear of what might be. Thanks for your insight anyway.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo

View attachment 799509
You are obviously mechanically talented with a machine shop (or have a relationship with one that is willing to make small batches of parts for you)... Why don't you design and build an adapter of an "off the shelf" 2-speed transfer case to replace the Allison drop box? If i remember correctly, the drop box's have some gear reduction in them as well.
WOW, that is a rare bird. The only other guy I know who has a relationship with that FMTV Prototype is Joaquin Suave. You just missed him as he went dark here on the Expo Portal on June 10, 2023, and you came on August 16th. You would have liked him as he was/is a smart dude who spoke his mind and knew his way around a 5-axis CNC machine like you.
Small world. 🌎

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior