EDC onboard water system worth it?

gatorgrizz27

I’ve finally decided to build a rear storage platform for my LR3, primarily from getting tired of our GSP making a mess out of the front passenger seat. It will be split down the middle into left and right sides, and designed to be easily removable to haul larger items (one of the reasons I’ve avoided building anything until now).

The left side will typically be empty, and have space to hold various items as needed, the right side will generally have the things I carry regularly (Battery powered chainsaw, tool/repair kit in pelican case, dog training bag). I have the ability to add a Group 24 AGM battery under the platform also, so I’m leaning towards doing it, and I’ve found a 10 gallon water tank thank would likely fit also.

Idea would be have water to rinse off or cool down dog, sandy kid/adult feet, wash hands with, and backup drinking water. This wouldn’t really be used for cooking/drinking when camping but I suppose it could. Setup would be a 12v pump with recoil hose and sprayer, I should,be able to build the whole thing for ~ $150.

It seems like a no brainer to include it, but I’m wondering if it’s going to end up being something that’s a hassle and rarely gets used. Issues I can foresee are:

#1 the water getting so hot in the summer that it’s not good for much. We live in N FL and the tank wouldn’t be in the sun, but a bottle of water can get crazy hot in a cup holder. I’d think the thermal mass of 10 gallons of water would make it stay relatively cool, even with the car off and in the sun all day, but I don’t know for sure.

#2 filling it might be a pain. In order to keep it removable I don’t want to cut an external fill into the body anywhere, though I’d considered one in the fuel filler door with a quick disconnect. Best option so far seems to be flipping the back seat forward and filling it there, I’m thinking about a short section of hose and a ball valve to be able to fill it from outside the cabin to not have any spillage issues.

#3 mold/mildew problems, especially if we want to use it for drinking occasionally. It’s a white/clear tank but won’t be exposed to sunlight, I don’t know if I’ll need to treat or clean it if it stays full/mostly full the majority of the time. It would be filled with city water which comes from the aquifer up here but I’d assume is treated with some type of bleach/disinfectant due to the utility grid.

Thoughts on whether it would be something that’s crazy useful or just a headache?

Last edited:

llamalander

I have a 32 gallon set of tanks in the back of my pickup, lives there all camping season and the setup comes out in winter. It is great to have, heavy and takes time to install/remove and fill.
Next iteration will not have to sit close to the floor, and I'll be happy to use 7-gallon jugs instead. I still plan to have an electric pump to dispense water at the tailgate, but I would rather drop that into a jug that I can easily fill, clean and swap out. A flashlight will quickly reveal the water level and multiple jugs behave as a baffled tank when driving. I camp in the desert, so 4-5 jugs would come on a trip, but they do not have to live in the back full-time.

I've made a similar system for a camp sink using 7-gal fresh and another jug for the waste, powered with a tool battery, and it proved much more convenient than a permanent tank.

Reactions: WVI

gatorgrizz27

Thanks for the reply, not much input on this huh? Anybody have some type of onboard water setup they find useful outside of camping? Getting a start on the rear storage platform soon.

J!m

Mine is set up for a shower, but it can be used for other things.

My tank is permanent and stainless steel. (Fills from inside the truck) I have a marine demand pump that pulls it up and through a “whole house” water filter. Then it splits and half goes through a plate heat exchanger under the hood and the hot and cold outlets are on the side of the truck.

I attach a house shower valve for control of volume and temperature as it is used.

Full hot can make tea…

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior