Eeziawn or Howling Moon, Tepui or CVT

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
To the couple of people with Kukenam Ruggedized, whats your family dynamic? Single, married, kids/no kids? Like the OP, I'may looking for a RTT for me, my wife and 16 mo. old son. Curious if you find the dimensions to be adequate for 3?

Thanks

TheFutur

Adventurer
To the couple of people with Kukenam Ruggedized, whats your family dynamic? Single, married, kids/no kids? Like the OP, I'may looking for a RTT for me, my wife and 16 mo. old son. Curious if you find the dimensions to be adequate for 3?

Thanks

I have the standard Kukenam which has the same footprint as the ruggedized model.

It's just my girlfriend and I in it but there is a little extra room, that being said we are both smaller people, she is 5'4" and im 6'1" but a twig! You might get more of a response in the Tepui thread, I've seen many people lost about camping with kids in their tepui's in that thread!

Hope this helps :)

jkron

Observer
I have a tepui autana ruggedized and I am less than thrilled with it. I have an issue with the tent separating from the channel in the base. The set up is clunky with the bar that supports the fabric over the ladder. And take down is a pain to try and get the fabric of the tent to pack neatly. And the ladder is so incredibly uncomfortable to walk up and down and is extremely cheap feeling. I would most definitely steer clear and head towards an ezi-awn or even a James baroud

Box Rocket

I have a tepui autana ruggedized and I am less than thrilled with it. I have an issue with the tent separating from the channel in the base. The set up is clunky with the bar that supports the fabric over the ladder. And take down is a pain to try and get the fabric of the tent to pack neatly. And the ladder is so incredibly uncomfortable to walk up and down and is extremely cheap feeling. I would most definitely steer clear and head towards an ezi-awn or even a James baroud
Have you contacted Tepui regarding the tent separating from the channel? This sounds like something you could have had taken care of. I'm happy to help or offer any suggestions if you have questions. Not sure what you meant about the "clunky-ness" of the support bar for the canopy but maybe I can help if you are having trouble with the setup. Just curious if you've tried an Eezi-Awn or JB tent? If you have questions you think I might be able to help with, feel free to call. 8017108110 and I'll do what I can to help.

jkron

Observer
I have and their solution was to mail me a new plastic corner piece and drill the rivets out and replace them. Not really something I feel like I should do on a brand new tent that wasn't exactly cheap. And as to the bar you have to wrestle it into place and to slide it in and of the tent every time you set it up. It's clunky to get in especially while standing on the ladder. They did get me the new corner piece extremely fast. But I'm not positive that's the solution. It's pulling from the aluminum channel because the gimp seems smaller.

Box Rocket

I understand what you're saying, but replacing the corner piece is probably the right solution IMO. If it were mine, that's what I would do and if there were still issues then I'd contact them again for a different solution. It's not a common issue that I've heard of.

jkron

Observer
Once I drill the rivets how should I replace them? Use sheet metal screws? Small machine bolts? Shame I have to take a drill to a brand new tent

Box Rocket

If it were me I'd replace the rivets with new rivets. If you're careful you should be able to get them out without enlarging the holes. That way you can use the same size rivets (should be able to find some at a local hardware store). Or you can go up a size on the rivets. But a machine screw (stainless bolt) would probably work fine too if that's easier for you.

Again, this is just what I would do if I were in your shoes, it's really up to you on how you want to deal with it.

Willman

Howling Moon is also a great African made RTT.

large_25592_Stargazer.JPG

Here is a great RTT thread on the differences on most brands:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ooftop-Tents-Now-available!?highlight=howling

You can find them here as well as the Eezi-Awn's, ARB, TJM, & Autohome:

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12