Engine compatibility Montero vs. Montero Sport

stevet47

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find any info on it.
Is the 3.5 in the Montero Sport a viable engine swap option for Gen 2 and 2.5 full-size Monteros with aging 3.5s?
I am assuming the answer is "no", but I am hoping otherwise.

Jeff V.

Observer
The 24V SOHC engines are nearly identical. You need to swap some minor things like the oil pan. Just stay away from the gen 3 engine, and you'll be fine.

If you're trying to replace a DOHC engine, you might run into a few more differences like engine block mounts, but it's still possible.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I have an '04 Sport 3.5 in my '99. The throttle bodies need to be swapped, flexplate needs to be the Montero plate (I swapped mine just because but Carlos found out the hard way they are different), Like Jeff says swap the oil pan and pick up, then the oil pump housings are different so you'll need to swap it or put an adapter on it to run your oil cooler. Other than that only one sensor on top of the motor is in the wrong location and you'll need to extend a wire or 2.

Aetro

I have an '04 Sport 3.5 in my '99. The throttle bodies need to be swapped, flexplate needs to be the Montero plate (I swapped mine just because but Carlos found out the hard way they are different), Like Jeff says swap the oil pan and pick up, then the oil pump housings are different so you'll need to swap it or put an adapter on it to run your oil cooler. Other than that only one sensor on top of the motor is in the wrong location and you'll need to extend a wire or 2.
Toasty do you know what i can expect when putting a 3.0 97 sport engine into a 96 or 97 3.0 sr?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online