EOS REBEL wide angle lens?

For Canon at least, all of the EF mount lenses will work on the "Crop" bodies (such as your T3i), so if it fits a modern Canon body, it will fit your camera. The EF-S mount lenses do not work on a Full Frame body, in fact can cause damage as the mirror can hit the lens as it moves during a shot.

The Canon EF-s10-22 is considered one of the best wide angle lenses for a crop body, but you do pay for the Canon name. It's usually worth it though (at least in my mind), Canon lenses are very well made and have excellent optical properties.

What ever you decide to do/get, make sure to do it well before your trip so you can use it and get a feel for how a wide angle frames shots. Yes, you can get a lot more territory in the shot, but it also makes everything farther away. Having something in the foreground can add that dimension of scale. Up close they can (and will) add a lot of distortion, not always a bad thing and can add a different feel to a shot. Taking a lot of shots costs nothing other than disturbing a few electrons, click away and learn

Binkie

Thank you everyone for the advice. My goal is to try and get shots with family in foreground, scenery in background. Also, just getting full mountain shots with the standard lens is difficult far away-I think it will really help in the confines of a train.

If considering used, are these lenses repairable if I make a bad purchase?

I believe in staying same brand for most things, but not closed to other brands. You guys have recommended either direction, so I imagine any way is likely OK.

After a little more research on the crop vs. full frame, I can really see I am on the right track here looking for wide angle lens. With full frame, I would have more options, but I am many years away from the talent level to really appreciate full frame camera. So at this point, if I can save a bit on a DSLR dedicated lens, I do not think I will be throwing money, vs. full frame lens that I could use in the future. Maybe in a few years I will have the ability to appreciate a new comprehensive investment.

I think with a wide angle this year, and ultra zoom for a possible WRC or F1 trip 1-2 years from now, I will have a well rounded kit for my needs. Can anyone explain why a lot of the ultra zooms only have one focal length? In a DSLR like mine, is the compromise in zoom flexibility detrimental? Ie, losing resolution when edit cropping? The DSLR is already at it's limit with large prints.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yes, quality used lenses from major brands are repairable.

IMO, if it's working fine when you buy it, it'll generally keep doing so just like a new lens. Check both elements and internally for excessive dust or dirt or scratches, make sure it will use all apertures, take some test shots especially wide open to check for focus accuracy.

Listen for any odd noises when autofocusing through its range.

The 10-22 is a great 'bang for the buck' lens on a crop body, I've owned one. Tokina, Tamron, Sigma are all capable of making great lenses, sometimes better than Nikon or Canon, but they may not hold their value as well as the Canikons over time.

Sometimes Nikon or Canon will also introduce new firmware or new bodies that will work with their own legacy lenses, but not some 3rd party lenses. Sometimes this can be fixed by sending your 3rd party lens in for an upgrade.

I have no idea what you mean by a lot of the ultra zooms have only one focal length? A zoom by definition covers a range of focal lengths?

There can be a problem with sample variation with some Canon lenses. Yes, overall they are excellent, but they still have sample variation. Another factor to consider is the age of a used lens. A friend and colleague sent a Canon lens, a 300 f/2.8, back to CPS for clean and repair and they refused to even look at it. They checked the serial number and sent it back to him saying they no longer kept repair parts and wouldn't touch it. I'm not saying there isn't sample variation with other manufacturer's lenses.

W

Wandering Sagebrush

If you're looking for an ultra wide, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 is an excellent, affordable ($500) choice for crop sensor cameras. It does come with a Canon mount. I'm a Nikon guy, but I've been very happy with the Tokina ultra wides. I have the 16-28/2.8 for full frame as well. It is equally as good, but can not take threaded filters. The Tokinas are the only non Nikkor lenses I own.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I will cast another vote for the Tokina 11-16 ATX. I bought a used one (@ $425) from a lens rental place. It has become a favorite of mine. It is very versatile. Others may have a wider range as an advantage though. I have used it for car shows, night shots, landscapes, concerts, etc. I use it on a Canon T2i but hoping to step up to the 6D very soon.

I rented the Tokina before I bought it to see if I liked it.
10708692_10201765342775863_135582521795902567_o.jpg

Binkie

Thanks for info. I've been watching Kijiji for used lenses. They list at about 375-500 CDN on Kijiji here lately. They go on sale for ~600 on sale here.

I have a couple months yet, but gonna do it.

Bridger

Observer
Heres a vote for the Tamron 10-24 with my Canon T1i. I use this particular lense about 90% of the time. I've had a lot of fun with it and it won't break the bank.
IMG_6270_zpse89e2110.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger