Expedition DAF: Global Capability/Exploration - $57500 (Bend, OR)

Racingdad

Adventurer
My wife already said "No" so I'll forward this on to maybe someone else whom may have better luck than me! No affiliation with seller of vehicle, just a craigslist find.

DAF YA-4440DT405 equipped with original Mil-Spec Fokker Aircraft container. Titled in Oregon as RV. Current indicated mileage 128,735 KM. Actual mileage perhaps 10% greater due to oversize tires. 1600 mile highway range at 50+ MPH. Outfitted for extended outback activity: 85 gallons of water, 166 plus/minus gallons of diesel fuel, roof mounted solar panels x 2. Featured vehicle in Diesel Power February 2012 and Truck Trend May/June 2012. DAF is European division of PACCAR Diesel; Peterbilt and Kenworth are USA divisions. DAF trucks successfully competed/completed Paris Dakar rally races in mid-80s. This vehicle built in 1981 in Eindhoven, Netherlands as part of NATO combat vehicle production run. Vehicle sold by Netherlands Government in 2005 with 0 KM beyond routine and periodic motor pool maintenance per original owners. We are second owners. Total current mileage composed of North African desert, South America from Ushuaia at Southern tip to Inuvik, Yukon very near the Arctic Ocean. Vehicle is the essence of mil-spec functionality with little "luxury" but robust reliability: sealed electrics, 4 x 4 ZF running gear, 5 speed two range manual transmission, DAF 6 cylinder turbo diesel (est hp about 170), 24 volt electrics, air brakes, axial mounted container deck, 1400 R20 Michelin XZL tires. Engine designed to burn all grades of diesel fuel making it suitable for global usage in contrast with current US diesel offerings. Hard sided container about 58 inches above ground offers serious security in adverse conditions. Axial mounts protect container structural integrity on uneven ground and markedly reduce wheel lift. This proven vehicle creates great memories and will exceed your backroads expectations. In short, it will "Take you there and Back Again". Vehicle is specced to pull a trailer of up to 10,000 pounds weight with air brake connections using Mil-Spec pintle hitch. We have six volumes of Dutch technical manuals with wonderful exploded drawings detailing assembly and service as well as applicable NATO parts numbers. This is the first post on this vehicle...I will update and expand to reflect questions and add photos. We are initially offering for sale "locally" but intend to expand on other venues. If seriously interested we encourage you to pursue now to avoid disappointment. Please enjoy the post but help me be responsive by limiting your queries to serious interest only. Check back periodically if desired to look for updates. I will forward copies of magazine articles on request but again, please, limit your requests to serious interest. We appreciate your interest and your help. The vehicle has been very carefully maintained as you would expect given we rely on it. Storage has always been covered and often interior and heated. Note that front mounted motorcycle is available if desired at additional $250. General specifications offered in good faith as best we know follow:
Weight, full tanks and motorcycle: 24,200 pounds
Overall length: 24 feet and change
Track width: 6.25 feet
Turning circle: 59 feet plus/minus
Overall height: 12 feet, 4 inches plus/minus
6 cylinder DAF diesel, turbo-charged, Bosch fuel-injection
ZF 5 speed, 2 range manual transmission and transfer case
Air Brakes, S-Cam system, 5.5-7 atmosphere working range
Hill-holder function
Hella cab mounted lights and covers
Perimeter lights
24 volt positive ground chassis sealed electrics with cut-out switch to isolate batteries when stopped
12 volt house battery system charged by engine, solar panels, and wired for external generator charge, Cut-out switch
Speed at 200 RPM: varies from about 54 MPH in high range, 5th gear to 4 MPH in low range 1st gear.
Koni Shocks and leaf spring suspension
Globalstar satellite phone system for use with Globalstar satellite phone to allow in cab phone usage
Air Seats by Isringhausen with 4 point SPARCO harness on both driver and passenger seats
Overcab storage box mounted on supports for light cannon and three side boxes
Storage points for shovels, axes
Fuel Tanks: 56 gallon main tank and 110 gallon auxiliary. Fuel transfer gravity with external hose connections

Container (not directly connected to cab)
Electric refrigerator: Coolmate by Waeco
3 burner Propane stove; SMEV propane oven. 75 pounds of propane storage
Thetford cassette toilet with two cassettes
Hot water shower with Truma propane boiler that also will heat air in container
Webasto Diesel heater running from main diesel tank
Seitz windows
Two seats and table, separate compartment for shower and toilet
Bed: 55 inches wide x 74.5 long. foam mattress. very comfortable and sleeps well for two people
Illumination: high end LED marine hardware in kitchen and over table and chairs, LED over bed area, additional incandescent puck lights

Other: Mil-Spec camoflage netting with supports to reduce vehicle visibility as desired.

Attachments

• 00r0r_ldtJifGlxIp_1200x900.jpg
    00r0r_ldtJifGlxIp_1200x900.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 01313_1dIbLyUVKv3_1200x900.jpg
    01313_1dIbLyUVKv3_1200x900.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 211
  • 00i0i_1soQD6M78ER_1200x900.jpg
    00i0i_1soQD6M78ER_1200x900.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 155

bartheil

I drove these (the dually version that is) when I was serving in the Dutch army. These trucks are awesome. A bit underpowered, but indestructible and a lot simpler than a Unimog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12