Experienced opinions and concerns on pop ups and canopy campers

K9LTW

Yup @K9LTW. watched the videos. Not too difficult, but I’d have to buy rivet tools.

Really, really, really like how (even at 6’2”) you can sleep up top east/west in M1 without using platform extension. Sort of a game changer if all other considerations were equal. And definitely changes build out planning. Dont know if you can have an arctic tern in one of the side hatches. Will find out when I call Jay. Rear hatch option is truly cool. Planning build out so all furniture and gear can be removed. Wind resistance caused by larger frontal area could cause loss of fuel economy compared to other, but I’m not going to quibble about 2 mpg. Towing TT was 11 mpg, so 15 and up is heaven. Out today to try to make a deal on a 2020 Sierra Elevation 60 miles away.

Of course, there is the price comparison to make. OVRLND, within an hour of my inquiry, sent a price estimate for my options; around $15k. Dropping Hiatus from finalist list. Too much dough. Dw wants a master bath remodel. Marital budget negotiations Underway. I will have limits on the camper. Nuclear option not in play.
You should, absolutely, be able to get an Arctic Tern in a side hatch (really wish I'd have thought about that). We have an AT on one side and a windowless hatch on the other. It's really impressive how many new options Jay, Maggie, and Co. have come up with since we got ours. As far as a loss in mpgs? Meh. I noticed nearly zero but was already rolling on 37s. If I hypermile it on secondary highways around 65 I can eek out an average of 13. But real driving on interstates at 75mph gets me 11-12 on a Power Wagon with 6.4 gasser <shrug>.

Marine359

You should, absolutely, be able to get an Arctic Tern in a side hatch (really wish I'd have thought about that). We have an AT on one side and a windowless hatch on the other. It's really impressive how many new options Jay, Maggie, and Co. have come up with since we got ours. As far as a loss in mpgs? Meh. I noticed nearly zero but was already rolling on 37s. If I hypermile it on secondary highways around 65 I can eke out an average of 13. But real driving on interstates at 75mph gets me 11-12 on a Power Wagon with 6.4 gasser <shrug>

Marine359

Thinking I could do a ply backed galley build aligning with driver side windowless hatch, and use space in between for recovery gear, easily accessed. No mollies needed?

Marine359

FYI TUNE M1 Update:
Talked to Tune today. They can do a slider in a side hatch but not an Arctic tern. OK by me. They are going to engineer a gas strut supported rear hatch with door, similar to Chris’ mod. Plan is A year out. As conversation continued, it was said they might speed that up because a lot of people are asking for it. Don’t want to wait a year, but will wait six months. After I nail down a suitable truck, which seems to be elusive, I’ll call Tune and offer to place an order if they can build with the rear hatch/door mod in six months. “Da bomb”. let y’all know soon.

Dave in AZ

FYI TUNE M1 Update:
Talked to Tune today. They can do a slider in a side hatch but not an Arctic tern. OK by me. They are going to engineer a gas strut supported rear hatch with door, similar to Chris’ mod. Plan is A year out. As conversation continued, it was said they might speed that up because a lot of people are asking for it. Don’t want to wait a year, but will wait six months. After I nail down a suitable truck, which seems to be elusive, I’ll call Tune and offer to place an order if they can build with the rear hatch/door mod in six months. “Da bomb”. let y’all know soon.
Good to hear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior