External Speaker Location

daverami

Explorer
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the best place to mount my external speaker, MFJ-281. Anyone, especially with an 05+ Access Cab have any suggestions?

Thanks

Cabrito

I come in Peace
how about in the headrest?

I was able to put one in the headrest in my Saab and my Land Cruiser

Keeps it out of sight and it's close to my ears so the xyl does not have to hear it as much.

Here are a few from the Saab
attachment.php

attachment.php

edit to re-add pics

Attachments

• Speaker in hedrest peeking out.JPG
    Speaker in hedrest peeking out.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 49
  • speaker going in headrest.JPG
    speaker going in headrest.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Michael

Adventurer
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the best place to mount my external speaker, MFJ-281. Anyone, especially with an 05+ Access Cab have any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a 2006 Access Cab. I put my 2m ham external speaker in the centerline of the rear wall of my access cab, just below the window and between the jump seats. The position helps a lot in hearing the radio when driving on rough roads. I have my 2m radio mounted under the passenger seat and ran the speaker cable along the door sill and behind the plastic facing on the back wall. There is an access cover on the back wall for mounting baby seats that helps when installing the speaker.

Attachments

• Ham radio speaker_04.JPG
    Ham radio speaker_04.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 74

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Funny - my speaker is still in its box on the floor of my truck because I haven't figured out a good place for it either. I can hear the speaker in the base unit just fine as long as no one is sitting in the back seat.....

I like flyingwil's location in the headliner, and may go that route.

KG6BWS

Explorer
if you dont mind drilling holes, i mounted mine right up the drivers side seat belt. works pretty good. its so close to my ear i can hear it even with the window down. depending on where the radio is you may have to extend the wires.

KG6BWS

Explorer
i just cut the wires right in the middle and then sautered in what i needed and covered the joints with heat-shrink. the wire i used was just some generic speaker extension wire for home audio systems. any 18ga. wire should work though.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I mounted my base unit and speaker on a wood board under the second row seat in my LR3, with the remote head unit on the dash. Works good, I can hear everything okay, and easy to remove if necessary.

daverami

Explorer
I have a 2006 Access Cab. I put my 2m ham external speaker in the centerline of the rear wall of my access cab, just below the window and between the jump seats.

I too thought of that area but my problem is that I tend to stack a lot of junk in the back while traveling and I thought I may inadvertently knock the thing off!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The seatbelt area seems like a good one too. The headliner mounting looks very clean, but for myself, I don't want to take on all that work for a speaker, at least till other options are explored.

Photog

Explorer
Do you have a speaker in the middle of the dash? Do any models of the Tacoma come with a speaker in the middle of the dash, like the 4Runner with JBL sound?

If so, use a factory Toyota speaker grill, and place the speaker in the dash. I did this to my 4Runner. The dash is made the same, with & without the fancy sound system. There is a section that gets cut out, for the JBL speaker. I cut out that section, mounted a small speaker, and snapped in the factory grill. It sounds great.

You could use the factory speaker too, if you can get it for a fair price.

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

KG6BWS

Explorer
the one i did above the seat belt took all of 10 minutes to do. i just screwed the bracket to the plastic just below the headliner, right over the seatbelt, and ran the wires under the door moulding down under the my seat to the radio. i have a ft8800 with the remote face. the radio body is under my seat and the face is in the dash below the am/fm.

easy install but you cant be adverse to drilling holes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman