External Water Storage Guides through Camper / subframe?

Bigzaj

I am in early planning stages of an expedition vehicle build and I've wrapped my head around the body, electrical, subrame, interior cabinets but I'm not finding much on plumbing design with fresh / grey tanks outside or at least through the cab. Trying to keep weight between the axles with a rear dinette. I don't want to throw the water tanks into the benches behind the rear wheel. So I'm looking at how to do "saddle" type tanks below the habitat in front of the rear wheels, but not finding much on do this with a subframe. Any resources or guides would be appreciated!

carterd

What chassis will you be using? The frame configuration (C channel vs. boxed, straight rail vs. curves) could change the advice you get. Also, what capacity tanks are you considering?

Mounting the tank to the subframe might be easier, but that adds a lot of weight to the outside edge that will induce a lot of sway. Mounting to the chassis frame would likely be better, but might be more complicated and you have to account for the subframe movement.

Bigzaj

F550. In an ideal world I’d have water tanks mounted to the truck frame, insulated with heaters. Trying to figure out how to plumb into habitat and allow for the subframe flex.

Deleted Member 183

I'll throw in my $0.02 ( and most probably worth less because my rig is a F-700)...

You might want to take a drive to your local commercial truck junkyard! Most commercial trucks (MHD) have "saddle" fuel tanks. Over the years I have used the mounting support brackets as the base frame to build several different cantilevered "hangers" for a number of uses.

I opted for a smaller/ lighter spare tire (same diameter though) and mounted these hangers "up-side down" then built a frame under it for the tire under them, thus providing me a BBQ prep table on top.

Prep table.jpg

For my propane tanks I mounted them normal then fab'd in the correct mounting structure for the 44lb aluminum forklift tanks (plumbed for gas). You will also see on the left of the propane frame that I built another one for my battery banks (2 motor & 6 home), plus storage for motor oil and a Jerry can of diesel.

2017_03 008.jpg

I hope this helps!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Also consider "soft tanks" you can get some industrial water "bags" you can have them custom made at Jack's Welding (no affiliation). The can come with pvc fixtures, easily heated with heating pads, can be kept in custom boxes. Any container about any size can be fitted with these pvc water containers.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
We use silicone tubing for our water lines. But our system is low pressure, and short runs.
I pushed to silicone as it can freeze without damage, and it is food grade.

Depending upon the pressure you are running, a section of thick wall silicone tubing may work to allow for flex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior