F450 chassis cab build -- composite box mounting

djm68

Observer
Hello,

I am just getting started on the research for building the camper box on a new-to-me 2020 F450 chassis cab. I will most likely go with a total composite box (or similar). As far as configuration is concerned, I might forgo the cab over and go for a simple 'box' style habitat. I've done a great deal of research, and I am rather confused about the requirements for mounting a composite box on a Ford chassis cab. I've read the chassis cabs flex more than pickups, and require a suspended subframe; other sources suggest the chassis cabs are actually quite stiff compared to Fuso's etc. and do not need sprung sub-frames. My F450 has a hard mounted flatbed (Martin aluminum drop side bed) which I suspect will not suffice for mounting a composite camper (I think).

Our use case is to travel the Pan-American, and to have the ability to reach remote locations, and not fear rough terrain damaging the box in the process.

To be clear, I am not building this camper myself -- I will be having this built -- but I do want to understand what is required to properly mount a box, and what to expect from a builder in this regard.

Thanks,
DJM

SootyCamper

While the f series frames are very robust, the risk of flex destroying your home on wheels is enough to invest in a subframe(spring mounted is the least complex). Checkout Globetrekkr, they have a very transparent price list so you can see what to expect. Overland adventure truck in Washington is a good resource aswell.

Also you stated you're going to have the habitat built for you, check out the Canadian builders, USD goes along way across the border.

Alloy

While the f series frames are very robust, the risk of flex destroying your home on wheels is enough to invest in a subframe(spring mounted is the least complex). Checkout Globetrekkr, they have a very transparent price list so you can see what to expect. Overland adventure truck in Washington is a good resource aswell.

Also you stated you're going to have the habitat built for you, check out the Canadian builders, USD goes along way across the border.

It would be great if Total Composites had a price list on the other hand YouTube marketing from Globtrekkr is in realm all by itself.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
It would be great if Total Composites had a price list on the other hand YouTube marketing from Globtrekkr is in realm all by itself.

Since we have builders all over North America (with more being added shortly) we can’t publish blank price lists anymore. Each partner has different overhead and therefore needs to be able to calculate pricing without us forcing them into a structure. But I can assure you that our kits are still the most affordable by at least US$10,000 with extremely low material failures/ warranties. Hope this makes sense.

Anyone in the market for a bigger expo truck body I encourage to do some serious research on construction methods and a proven track record. Here are a couple of things to watch for:
- delaminating issues
- overall weight of the kit
- Adhesive selection and bonding strength
- Expansion/contraction between different materials
- Thermal transfer . You do NOT want condensation inside your $300,000 truck!
- long term reviews

Alloy

Since we have builders all over North America (with more being added shortly) we can’t publish blank price lists anymore. Each partner has different overhead and therefore needs to be able to calculate pricing without us forcing them into a structure. But I can assure you that our kits are still the most affordable by at least US$10,000 with extremely low material failures/ warranties. Hope this makes sense.

Anyone in the market for a bigger expo truck body I encourage to do some serious research on construction methods and a proven track record. Here are a couple of things to watch for:
- delaminating issues
- overall weight of the kit
- Adhesive selection and bonding strength
- Expansion/contraction between different materials
- Thermal transfer . You do NOT want condensation inside your $300,000 truck!
- long term reviews

Without estabished pricing it will be race to the bottom as builders compete.

I know someone that called your office a year ago asking for budget range for a F550 box. They were told to email a specification. The F550 has Host Yukon on it now.

Anyone considering a Globetrekkr for 4 seasons use should get a money back no condensation guarantee. Condensation on aluminum can be prevented but with newer technology than what's being used.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Without estabished pricing it will be race to the bottom as builders compete.

I know someone that called your office a year ago asking for budget range for a F550 box. They were told to email a specification. The F550 has Host Yukon on it now.

Anyone considering a Globetrekkr for 4 seasons use should get a money back no condensation guarantee. Condensation on aluminum can be prevented but with newer technology than what's being used.

To be honest, we are getting about 10-20 phone calls a day and the same amount of email inquiries about custom camper kits. 99% of them are “just” people that need a “quick” quote…. Well, it’s never quick as every little change (amount and size of windows for example) will change the price by the thousands. That is why we can only give pricing after the potential customer puts in some leg work by filling out our quoting template with dimensions. This is probably why your friend didn’t get pricing over the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12