F450 DRW to SRW, rear track width ?

brp

Observer
I switched my 2002 F450 from dual rear wheel to single using rims supplied by 1stattack. The rear track width is the same as with the duals, approx 92". The front track width is approx 86".

The camper I will be installing on the back of the truck is about 75" wide at its widest point.

As you can tell, the 92" rear track is considerably wider than the front or the camper.

The question I have is if the stability provided by the wider rear track width is worth the compromises.

-The truck is wider than it needs to be overall.
-The rear track not being the same as the front track could make it wander on the highway.

Any insights appreciated and thanks.

jpat30

Adventurer
A lot will depend on what size tire you run in the rear. Many big rigs are now ditching the dual setups for a wider single in the rear. I don't believe though that you should expect to run the same size tires front and back, sorry. just my .02.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Do research on your specific rear axle. But I do know that the housings on GM 14 bolts are the same between DRW and SRW trucks. So to change, you just switch out the hubs. That might be the best bet for you, especially since I'm sure there are a few 2002 Ford trucks available as parts.

Not a hard job, but can be messy. Nitrile gloves are your friend.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do research on your specific rear axle. But I do know that the housings on GM 14 bolts are the same between DRW and SRW trucks. So to change, you just switch out the hubs. That might be the best bet for you, especially since I'm sure there are a few 2002 Ford trucks available as parts.

Not a hard job, but can be messy. Nitrile gloves are your friend.

Ford F450 axles are a completely different unit than the 350 SRW trucks.
-
Ford experimented with a variety of axles with the F450/550's. But it's most likely a Dana 80 with a weird diff cover, or a Dana Spicer 110.

brp

Observer
I called 1stattack and they said the track widths should be the same. They told me to send measurements and they will get cracking on new rear rims, I can send the original rears back.

I was very pleased with the service and solution.

I don't want to go wider up front because the tires fit the fenders nicely in the current configuration.

I have the same tires front/rear, 40" Continental MPT 81's.

I'll put some pictures up when I have everything straightened out. Thanks

brp

Observer
Here are two pictures. It is hard to get a good picture in the garage, not much space or light.
There is no lift on the truck and I am possibly clearing 40" tires! If you have any tips on how to compress the front leaf springs down to the bump stops, please let me know. I am trying to make it work with a 10,000lb ratchet strap, so that I can check for rubbing, etc.

You can see how the tire nicely fits the the wheel well created by fitting Bushwacker cut outs. It is on the driver's side where the clearance is very close, there is a pocket for the pedals that intrudes into the wheel well. The passenger side does not have this.

I am hoping to not need any lift, save $, time, complexity. One option, which is not a good one, is to change the bump stop to limit up-travel. I may do this if I am just 1/2 inch or so from clearing.

Attachments

• -7.jpg
    -7.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
  • -11.jpg
    -11.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 41

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
brp,
Interesting wheels and tires. I love the look of your set up with 40's. That is great for a no-lift truck. Ford is certainly the best of the bunch for tire enlargement with Dodge at dead bottom, clearance-wise.
Now you say you want to install a 75" wide camper? That is very narrow. I have a Lance Lite 165-s (similar, but older version of the 825) that is 86" wide, outside to outside and I thought that was as narrow as a full service hardside gets.
The solution for the 35 spline Dana 80 FF rear axle on my '01.5 Dodge CTD 2500 was to buy Mickey Thompson 12" wide x 16" aluminum wheels (with 4.5" backspacing) to replace the 7.5" wide, 6.5" backspacing stockers. The tires are 33/15.50's and are considered super singles or duplex and take the place of duals. However, the load rating is only 3750 pounds, so it won't carry the water in your tank. I have 10" wide front wheels with 33/14.50's with a 4.5" backspacing but they stick out so far they hit the rear of the fender opening on full turn. So, for the moment i'm using the stock front wheels with 33/13.50 Tactical tires. The solution may come from a Mil. surplus tire/wheel dealer who has hundreds of 80% tread cast-off Hummer wheels and tires. The wheels are 8 lug (to start) and will fit the Dodge. The difference is the 7 inch back spacing. I don't know if they will fit. The tires are 37" tires which actually measure 34", a good height for my rig's lack of clearance. The problem is the lower door hinge protrudes into the fender opening with a little bump in fender metal.
So to the question. With that set up, I'm about 8" narrower, outside to outside compared to a stock dual set up. I put 7" wide Jeep TJ fender lips on the rear to act as hips. The camper is very stable when on the truck with super singles. Here's a pic:

I hogged out part of the front bumper and fender and added wide lips to deflect the mortal enemy of my Lance, wooden frame TC: water intrusion.

The only thing I worry about on the front axle is the short back spacing and its detriment to the front wheel bearings. Of course, the Dodge has the infamous 'unit bearing' Dana 60 front end where the bearings are puny and spaced too close together for a good long life. Do you have the AAM front axle? I believe they have the upgraded bearing posture. If you have interior locking hubs, you have the better bearing set up.
jefe

brp

Observer
At the time I wanted to order the wheels I could not get through to Rickson after a few attempts. I eventually did get a call returned but had already decided on the other guys.

The stability that Mundo gets from the wider rear set-up is a plus for sure. I think the narrower set-up is right for me and mainly decided to go that way because my camper is narrow and I want it to look like it fits the truck well. I also like the narrower width for fitting in tight spaces, etc.

I have the Dynatrac Free Spin kit installed in my front axle. Should be set to go for a long time and the 40's should not overly stress the axle.

My camper is the camper portion pulled off a 1987 Toyota Sunrader, it does not flare out like a slide in, and is only about 75" wide at the base.

I've got a blog/build going, sunroamer4x4.blogspot.com, I have the flatbed and wheels/fenders nearly complete (besides the rear backspacing) so I will add those updates soon.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears