2011 F550 4x4 Beastly Baja Bus conversion. New 6.7 Powerstroke. Get off grid and stay off grid. $124k

Robbus

Overlanding 4x4 Bus. Ford F550
IMG_1442.jpeg
chassis. Located in Greenville, SC

Ready for adventure.
IMG_2506.jpeg

Features:
6.7 L power stroke. New motor w Ford warranty installed 6000mi ago
121,000 mi on chassis
75 Gal Freshwater
25 Gal Grey water
25 + 30 Gal fuel tanks
Whale diesel heater/cooktop. Very efficient
5 Gal heater diesel tank
Warn 17.5K lb winch
2048 Wh BLUETTI 200AC Max Li power pack
600w roof solar
100” x 90” roof deck
Lockable Underbody storage boxes 18”x36”x24, 18”x80”x24
Ranch Hand Brush guard
Low chassis miles 121k
LED scene and backup lights
27” 4K smart TV (WiFi, Netflix, Hulu etc)
Cassette toilet and shower combo
4.8cu ft Fridge
Microwave
Sleeps 5-6
DBL Designs 2.5” lift
320/80/20 Continental MPT 81 (41” tires)
Bilstein shocks
Massive interior storage
Dual receiver hitches for simultaneous towing and bike/moto carrier
Starlink antenna holder
Quick access Jerry can, shovel, traction board storage

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

View attachment IMG_2245.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpeg
    IMG_0676.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50

Robbus

Interior photos. Happy to share a video tour of the rig if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    878.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2241.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2242.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2243.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2245.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 127

Robbus

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2242.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0169_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0169_Original.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd be interested in following up on this one, this being a DIY thing and these vehicles before modification are plentiful on sales lots and auctions, can you justify that asking price?

Might start by stating the year the bus was manufactured. Did you buy a bus with a bad engine, replace it, modified it, covered old windows and install new ones?

Robbus

Good question. Schoolies is are plentiful. Factory built 4 x 4 buses are not. I’ve only seen three or four of this bus on the market in the last few years. None were renovated. They tend to go for around 20 to 30k unrenovated and with unknown engine condition.

This is a 2011 with 121K on the chassis. The motor worked when I bought it. I had it checked out by a mechanic but it had an undetected issue in the cylinder walls, and I basically blew all the oil out the exhaust and melted the engine, so it had to be replaced.

New engine professionally installed April 2023 with a factory warranty was $27k. Motor has 6k miles on it. Diffs have been serviced and front joints and ball joints will be replaced at time of sale.

Lift and tires have about 5k miles on them. Suspension, lift, tires, wheels runs about $10k.

The windows are original to the bus. They fold out on one side and they have vent sliders at the top. They are tinted for privacy.

If you are looking do your own build out and spend a year of your time doing it, this is not the one for you. If you want something that is ready to go and want a ************ head turning rig but don’t want to fork out $250-500k, this might be for you.

I’m open to reasonable offers. Thanks.

Robbus

I thought I posted this response already. As a matter fact, it is Ramen encased in epoxy. It’s an homage to my sons favorite camping food.

If I had known how expensive epoxy resin was, I would’ve gone with something more pedestrian… You know, like granite.

jjx0.usa

Excellent build. Cool ideas
Question: I don't know everything, don't tell my friends, but have you had this off-road much or to what extent have you tested it? Only really curious as to how the windows, most particularly, and habitat handle the movement and articulation? Seen one bus where the windows busted, but those were all glass and in a very awkward position. This does also have DEF correct?

Robbus

Question: I don't know everything, don't tell my friends, but have you had this off-road much or to what extent have you tested it? Only really curious as to how the windows, most particularly, and habitat handle the movement and articulation? Seen one bus where the windows busted, but those were all glass and in a very awkward position. This does also have DEF correct?
It does very well though I’m not looking for opportunities to maximize articulation. Here’s a pic of a pretty articulated section of trail. No problems.

Attachments

• 05570ffe-3c72-482c-92cc-0ca21f248a70_Original.jpeg
    05570ffe-3c72-482c-92cc-0ca21f248a70_Original.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 56

Robbus

Yes. Has DEF. Engine is stock w no tuning.

jjexpedition

It is a very cool build you have. I have a few concerns though. Is the electrical just simply a Bluetti and some batteries thrown in a storage compartment or is it a professional set up with the necessary converter/inverter components? Also, I've seen many issues with the 6.7 and transmission of this year/model bus (especially the 4x4 models). Have you had any issues with the transmission yet? Having 120k without having to rebuild/replace is impressive. The large wheels also will put excessive wear on the tranny and engine so if it hasn't been regeared this can add to premature failure. Also, if you are having issues with the 4WD, it actually could be the fact that there is a level and no aftermarket UCAs. Usually you want the strut/shocks to have that extra length for movement. I'd definitely consider buying this vehicle if your price was around 80k. Just the unknowns with the engine, transmission, 4WD, and electrical would concern me, as well as spending the extra money to regear if it hasn't been done. Sorry I am playing devil's advocate here, but overall, still a very neat build.

Robbus

It is a very cool build you have. I have a few concerns though. Is the electrical just simply a Bluetti and some batteries thrown in a storage compartment or is it a professional set up with the necessary converter/inverter components? Also, I've seen many issues with the 6.7 and transmission of this year/model bus (especially the 4x4 models). Have you had any issues with the transmission yet? Having 120k without having to rebuild/replace is impressive. The large wheels also will put excessive wear on the tranny and engine so if it hasn't been regeared this can add to premature failure. Also, if you are having issues with the 4WD, it actually could be the fact that there is a level and no aftermarket UCAs. Usually you want the strut/shocks to have that extra length for movement. I'd definitely consider buying this vehicle if your price was around 80k. Just the unknowns with the engine, transmission, 4WD, and electrical would concern me, as well as spending the extra money to regear if it hasn't been done. Sorry I am playing devil's advocate here, but overall, still a very neat build.
If you are making me a conditional offer, then send me a PM to discuss terms. Otherwise your armchair opinion of value is both unwelcome and inappropriate in this forum.

However, you asked about specific systems.

Electrical: AC loads are powered by BLUETTI which is housed internally. It is charged off the 600w solar on the roof. The loads are fridge, microwave, starlink (not continuous) TV and AC outlets.

The DC loads, which are minimal : LED puck lights, stereo, MaxAir fan run off the 2 cab batteries, fan and pump for diesel heater/stove. These can run for a whole day without killing the battery.

I chose the BLUETTI specifically because it is fully self contained and capable of supplying the limited loads on it.

Transmission: it has been serviced at my Ford dealership and pronounced in good health. it shifts well up and down with no slippage. I would welcome any bonafied buyer having it checked out.

Gearing: it is the original gearing (can’t remember the ratio) but with the big tires I’m at 1900rpms at 68mph. With the original gearing the rpms were much higher at highway speed. The towing capacity for this rig is massive (19k lbs) but it was used for personnel transport not towing (I added the hitch)

The larger tires are not a meaningful transmission load compared to 19k lbs of trailer towing capacity which isn’t being used. I don’t know what purpose regearing would serve. This is primarily a highway and dirt road vehicle.

4x4. The diagnosis on the 4x4 noise came straight from my dealer who said it needed front ujoint and ball joints replaced, which I’ll do that prior to sale.

Suspension: the shocks were sized for the lift which was done by DBL designs.

Engine: the motor is a brand new 6.7 professionally installed 6k miles ago. Not a crate motor.

If you are looking at used expedition rigs, you know that there are risk that are unknowable. I have done my best to be transparent about the pros and cons of this vehicle and I’m happy to talk through any of these items with an actual buyer and allow for a 3rd party inspection.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12