facotory fog lights

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
hello all. after a quick search, i couldnt find anything on replacing the factory fog light bulbs. one of them finally quit on my 05 and i am looking for a step up in a replacement bulb. something a little brighter than stock. what say you?

toyrunner95

Explorer
get hella 550s if they are square. but i but u got those little round ones. hella piaa and a bunch of other companies make those.

madizell

Explorer
Your question sounds like one regarding upgrade bulbs, rather than upgraded light fixtures. Many stock lamps rated for 55W will handle 100W, but my experience is that light output is not greatly enhanced by this, and heat increases. I had Hella fogs stock on the Audi A6, and upgraded the bulbs to 100W. One side so melted the plug on the lamp lead that I had to cut the plastic with a razor knife to undo the plug. Part of the problem is the interior volume of the unit not having enough room for the extra radiant heat, and the other is stock wiring that is not rated to handle nearly double the amperage load. My melted plug came from too much draw on the wire. I have since removed the original units, and replaced with Hella after market units that have heavier wiring and relays, and now 100W is fine, although they still don't make all that much more light than 55W. I tried both side by side and could not tell a difference. The only way to get really superior light from a fog lamp is to use an HID unit ($$).

You could also try any of the so-called "85W" lamps, which are really only 55W lamps with color coatings. Some appear to be a bit brighter, but are only a different color, usually blue-shifted. Blue light for fog lamps tends to defeat the purpose of a fog lamp because blue light is more diffuse, and light scatter is not good in fog.

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
thanks for the replies. i will look at either the hella or piaa, and stick with the 55W. on another note, is there a power source i can tap in the rear of the truck for additional lights on my rack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman