Factory Dual Alternator Setup with Victron Components

rplowden

Planning stages of building out a Ford Transit and have some questions about setting up a Victron system with a factory dual alternator setup. How do I maximize vehicle charging to the house batteries with this system? Is the only way to use multiple Orion DC-DC Smart Chargers? Do I need to swap one of the alternators with something like the Nation's alternator? What am I missing?

rplowden

Firstly, I would determine how that Ford dual alternator system is configured.
My suspicion they are simply parallel connected without any priority scheme.
If thats the case. I would just choose DC to DC charger(s) to suit the type of housebattery system desired.
Yeah, now that you mention it, I'm guesstimating the same thing. Has anyone used a Victron Buck Boost DCtoDC Converter?

Daviticus

Not exactly what you're asking, but worth mentioning: I have stacked multiple Renogy DC-DC chargers in a dual alt Transit for 100 amps of house bank charge at idle.

Currently installing a second Renogy DC-DC into a dual-alternator Econoline ambulance for 110 amps of house bank charge. I have also previously installed two Victron Orion-Tr 15 amp 12v-24v DC-DC boxes into a single-alt 220 amp Sprinter for a tiny 30 amp charge to the 24v house bank. No reason the Victron units couldn't be used in the same scenarios.

In the case of a factory dual-alt Transit, there is no priority that I've found with either alternator and they are both controlled in the same manner; also the electrical load management control scheme is changed/removed already so you shouldn't have any issues. Keep in mind a good rule of thumb for charge system loads is 50% of claimed maximum alternator(s) output. 60% is give-or-take what they'll actually produce at idle and at operating temperature, which usually gives decent headroom for any factory charging/loads.

rplowden

Not exactly what you're asking, but worth mentioning: I have stacked multiple Renogy DC-DC chargers in a dual alt Transit for 100 amps of house bank charge at idle.

Currently installing a second Renogy DC-DC into a dual-alternator Econoline ambulance for 110 amps of house bank charge. I have also previously installed two Victron Orion-Tr 15 amp 12v-24v DC-DC boxes into a single-alt 220 amp Sprinter for a tiny 30 amp charge to the 24v house bank. No reason the Victron units couldn't be used in the same scenarios.

In the case of a factory dual-alt Transit, there is no priority that I've found with either alternator and they are both controlled in the same manner; also the electrical load management control scheme is changed/removed already so you shouldn't have any issues. Keep in mind a good rule of thumb for charge system loads is 50% of claimed maximum alternator(s) output. 60% is give-or-take what they'll actually produce at idle and at operating temperature, which usually gives decent headroom for any factory charging/loads.
Thanks. Stacking may be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan