Factory jack 95SR?

Styyy

Adventurer
Bought a Monty and went looking for the factory jack but it's not there. Is it worth sourcing an OEM one or what should I get? Pics?
Thanks.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Along these lines, have any of you rebuilt one of the OE units before? Are the consumable parts like o-rings available?

Unless you are at stock height with stock tires on a flat paved road, the factory jack really sucks. If you are off-roading, have a lift, and/or large tires (33"+), a hi-lift jack is a must. Flats happen at crappy times in crappy places especially off-road. Imagine getting that puny bottle jack safely positioned under the axle in a compromised position on some rocks. Just some food for thought!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Having a working stock jack is something I'd highly recommend. It works great in conjunction with a high lift or two. Trust me on that one. I've learned that the hard way.

Styyy

Adventurer
Thats the info I needed,stock height on 31's. Ill try and source a factory one. Thanks for the kind offer jeep-n-montero!!
thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Unless you are at stock height with stock tires on a flat paved road, the factory jack really sucks. If you are off-roading, have a lift, and/or large tires (33"+), a hi-lift jack is a must. Flats happen at crappy times in crappy places especially off-road. Imagine getting that puny bottle jack safely positioned under the axle in a compromised position on some rocks. Just some food for thought!

I'm not 100% in agreement with BillyGoats on this one. The stock jack is small, but actually telescopes up a surprising amount, but yes, on 33" tires, you use every millimeter of that height! But the HiLift is really only an effective solution if you have sliders or preferably, front and rear steel bumpers. If you don't have a hard point to the use the HiLift on, it's of limited value. The local auto parts store probably sells bottle jacks. My Autozone does. I got this 6 ton jack that lifts up to 16" for cheap. It also fits in the stock location.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...255z?itemIdentifier=487298&_requestid=4096645

I forgot I had this pic. 2nd day of ownership. Flat tire. Without that large pice of wood under the jack, the factory bottle jack couldn't lift the tire off the ground enough for me to change the tire. I suppose I could have jacked the car up from the a arm, but that's not really safe.

e5e4are3.jpg

I'm not saying the stock jack is useless, but just know it's limitations. I still carry mine.

+1 on the Duralast or similar units. Measure the access area and find the tallest one that fits.

Edit: And as billy goats suggest, bring a 6" long 4x4 or 4x6 wooden block to set it on. Set the jack on top of the block. Not the block on top of the jack....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior