Factory/OEM battery + solar charging

toytruck

Wondering if stock OE battery (2014 4runner) can handle being used w/ solar (with charge controller).

I understand AGM/deep cycle is the way to go but find it a waste to upgrade to an AGM right now when my factory battery is perfectly fine at this point and time. My needs are to run a fridge max 3/4 days while boondocking and thinking to upgrade to a single deep cycle battery (along with an antigravity jumper). However, most threads I'm finding are discussing situations where the stock batteries need to be replaced. My situation at this point and time, replacement isn't really necessary given the factory battery's state of health.

Is it ok to run solar on a stock OE battery at this point and continue to run it this way before upgrading to a single deep cycle? Thanks fellas.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I would just get a cheap second battery and abuse the hell out of it, return within warranty period for a new one when it dies, repeat.

toytruck

Great, thanks for the insight.

The only detriment is cycling a starting battery further than it normally does on starter only duty will shorten its overall lifespan.
What you propose is fine as a expedient way to get camping until you can work out a better long term power system.

Just be sure your solar is large enough capacity.
Further, during daytime solar can carry the bulk of, if not all the electric demand of your 'fridge.
But as a single battery system, you should fit accurate voltmeters & keep an eye on things.
Most all refrigerators have a low voltage shutdown function to protect your battery. Never the less, its a good idea to keep an eye on battery condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12