Fall in GWNF/ Spruce Knob

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Man, I would love to meet up and do some camping in that area next time you go out there. I'm kind of in the same boat as you with not knowing the area AT ALL. I was just in Watoga State park West Virginia a couple weekends ago, and putzed around Monongahela National forest a bit, but really didn't know where I was going and just a little nervous of tackeling unknowntrails with just me and the girl friend. So yeah It'd be a blast to explor some together some time.

Viggen

Just here...
:eek: Clothesline!? Better hope the mods don't see that - it'll get you banned! ;)

Radius arms with panhard and adjustable CO shocks; driver drop Trail Gear axle with ARB air locker.

I'm tired of problems with the CV axles which I feel is the trucks weak link. Going with a solid axle gives me enhanced capability, reliabiity, and durability. Plus, I don't want a whole lot of lift that leaves or other link options often give you. I'm getting too old to perform unnatural acts to get into the cab and I'm a firm believer in keeping the COG as low as reasonable. Nor am I interested in seeing how big a tire I can stuff under there either; I don't see going over 35's, especially with the 3RZ.

I know, I know, clothesline. Its not weight bearing or anything but serves double duty quite well. Maybe Ill change it to parachute cord. Who can argue with that, right? Nothing gets more manly and could sail through the Expo certification better than that. I do have some from my dad laying around but its really long and cutting it into a small piece would only make it less useful.

Your setup sounds pretty awesome. Doing the work yourself?

Man, I would love to meet up and do some camping in that area next time you go out there. I'm kind of in the same boat as you with not knowing the area AT ALL. I was just in Watoga State park West Virginia a couple weekends ago, and putzed around Monongahela National forest a bit, but really didn't know where I was going and just a little nervous of tackeling unknowntrails with just me and the girl friend. So yeah It'd be a blast to explor some together some time.

Thats pretty much where I was at. Very unfamiliar with the area. Combine that with no other vehicle and just me and my gf, I didnt want to chance it. Im thinking about throwing out the idea for an early December run out there and see if theres any bites. I do want to know the area a little better.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Your setup sounds pretty awesome. Doing the work yourself?

550 cord is the way to go - always good to have a few hundred feet in your kit. It's the ultimate Expo-licious lashing material. Your stature in the expo community will appreciate greatly with the liberal application of paracord in your campsite or hasty trail repair. It's kind of like Dungeons and Dragons or Magic card games... like a powerful potion or spell or whatever.

If you had some 550 cord with you (in OD or Coyote Brown), you probably could have fixed those brakes and driven to Baja Mexico from GWNF.

Live and learn...

Negative, Iron Pig.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Nice. I wish I had made it down to their open house. When I was contemplating a 2H powered 62, I had called them for advice on the truck. Ended up sticking with my British roots and going Rover. Sounds like its going to be a super nice truck. What front axle are you going with?

JamesDowning

Explorer
Spruce knob eh? I've never been up that way on 33.

Isn't spruce knob the highest point in WV? I didn't know it was campable... or was it a different mountain you camped on? Either way, looks nice! One of my favorite camp areas is Meadow knob and Flagpole knob... a bit southwest of where you were.

CRJeepin

Observer
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I'm in southern PA and want to get to GWNF to do some camping; I signed up for VA4WDA to get in touch with folks that know the trails there, but haven't had a chance to go yet.

VA4WDA is working with the ranger districts to set up access; you might want to check on their website to check that trails are legit before heading out. From what I understand there are a lot of trails that locals cut but aren't approved. Don't want to be the guy the trail closure advocates use on their next poster!

Would be glad to get out there with ya sometime if you're going -- sounds like we might have a few on this board that are close enough we could set up a ride. Oh, I did buy a DeLorme Atlas for VA and it shows the open trails/roads in pretty good detail.

Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Chris

Roverhound

Adventurer
We waved.
Next time you head this way look me up. If I hadn't just gotten back from the Dominican I would have liked to camp out.
I think the trails that the "locals" cut mentioned by CRJeepin are the series of trails on Harrisonburg property called Salt Shed at the flat lands before the mountain. Thankfully this is all closed now so no more idiots driving down the river.
As far as 10 or 20 truck expeditions, I prefer smaller groups so as not to attract too much attention. Large groups get noticed and commented on.
Ask the Land Cruiser guys about Devil's Ditch (now closed).

Viggen

Just here...
Tango, that axle looks awesome. Youll have a killer amount of clearance under it. Does the stock Toyota front hubs and swivels just attach to it?

Im a fan of small groups too. Like 5 or 6 would be fun. Anything more than that Im not a fan. I hate having to wait around which is why I dont go to the rallys that are so popular with all the other Rover people. 200 people trying to run 15 trails is boring to me. I waved back and thought about turning around but we werent too sure where you were heading so we kept heading towards the lake. I did get a map of the area but first hand knowledge trumps that any day. Spruce Knob is the highest point in WVa and we were right on the line in that general area. There were tons of sites out there off the trail to pull over and set up in. Most were two tracks that went into the woods were there was just enough room for your tent, truck and a fire pit. The clearing we found was the highest point in the area and it was awesome.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Was just down in that area myself with a few trailblazers. Beautiful country. Looking forward to exploring more the next trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12