fasteners: which, when, & how - now including adhesives

s.e.charles

kicking off with the ubiquitous "pop rivet".

Q: has anyone used the 'snap-off' method described here?

seems to work well in the myriad of examples demonstrated, but i have never seen it done by hand.

good trick, doesn't matter, or poor style rendering the attachment unsafe?

86scotty

Cynic
So what type were they? I must confess I don't know the myriad names of rivets. He did say they were the type that explode inside, into 3 prongs. I don't know what that type is called though.

jadmt

ignore button user
is this them: Amazon.com: Niteguy 140pcs Plastic Rivet Clip,Plastic Fasteners Kit Fender Liner Fastener Rivet, for Ford GMC,Jeep Wrangler 07-15,Dodge Avenger 08-14,Auto Body Retainer Replacement Plastic Rivet Clip: Automotive ???

i didn't give a thought to any material except aluminum. but if a boat is used in salt water, it makes perfect sense to use something else.

if it was mentioned it in the video, i completely missed.
I bought those exact ones from Amazon and they are pretty poor quality. They also take a plastic rivet gun as a regular rivet gun does not pull them tight.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I’d rather use a washer when the backside is accessible like that but those “grappler” rivets are good if you can’t access the backside of soft material. Some blind rivets are designed to break off the mandrel flush. They’re stronger in shear like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears