FG Manual Transmission 6 speed conversions???

yabanja

Explorer
I think we can all agree that the 5 speed manual transmission gear ratio's in the FG are somewhat lacking(particularly the jump between 3rd and 4th gear). I decided to do a little poking around to see what other transmission options might be out there. I saw that someone had put an Allison automatic in one of the ATW vehicles. Has anyone else switched to any other options?

Here is a little study on different transmission/transfer case options:

Fuso FG 5 sp. RATIOS: 5.38 3.028 1.700 1.00 .722 REVERSE 5.38 WEIGHT 220 TORQUE ?

Dodge Ram NV5600 RATIOS: 5.63 3.380 2.04 1.39 1.00 .73 REVERSE 5.63 WEIGHT 360 TORQUE 550

Ford/Chevy ZF6-650 RATIOS: 5.79 3.30 2.10 1.31 1.00 .72 REVERSE 5.23 WEIGHT 235 TORQUE 520

Jeep NSG370 RATIOS: 4.46 2.61 1.72 1.25 1.00 .84 REVERSE 4.06 WEIGHT 89 TORQUE 272

Any of these alternatives would work well with the NV271 Transfer case with a low range of 2.71-1 rather than the original 1.987 ratio. There is also an NV241or available with an 4-1 ratio!

Having six speeds would certainly fill the gap between 3rd and 4th nicely, and I think it might be worth the trouble. Obviously the Jeep trans is not really up to the task but interesting nonetheless. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Allan

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
The Ford ZF-6's are the pick of the transmissions listed - the 03+ diesel trans has a proper transmission cooler and is rated at 570 Ft/Lb input. In reality it will take a LOT more than that.

The issue you have with the NV271/273 is they are all indexed from the transmission for a driver/passenger side pumpkin on the front axle. The fuso drops pretty much under the transmission - so you will have some weird driveshaft angles.
Not to mention making a bell housing adapter for all of those transmissions, as well as converting them to cable shift.

Amesz00

Adventurer
I've thought about this a fair bit as well. Came to conclusion the easiest/cheapest way to do it would be a fuso 6sp with a divorce mount Tcase. If you take the model # of your trans, the last digit should be a 5, ie 5sp. Far as I know, the heavier FEs came with 6sp version of the same box. Obviously no bell housing or shifter issues..

yabanja

Explorer
I've thought about this a fair bit as well. Came to conclusion the easiest/cheapest way to do it would be a fuso 6sp with a divorce mount Tcase. If you take the model # of your trans, the last digit should be a 5, ie 5sp. Far as I know, the heavier FEs came with 6sp version of the same box. Obviously no bell housing or shifter issues..

I got all excited for a minute. The FH model came with a six speed and the ratios are perfect but after looking at pictures at busbees it appears that both the FH an FK model bellhousings are quite different from the 4D34 bellhousing that my 2000 truck has!! Boo!

Amesz00

Adventurer
I got all excited for a minute. The FH model came with a six speed and the ratios are perfect but after looking at pictures at busbees it appears that both the FH an FK model bellhousings are quite different from the 4D34 bellhousing that my 2000 truck has!! Boo!

Nah not the FH/FK the 2wd canter FE. As I said, take the last digit of model #, should be a 5, change to 6 and that should be the 6sp fitted to 4D34 2wds.

yabanja

Explorer
It looks like the 05 up FE 180 has a six speed, but my Service Manual doesn't cover these. Does anyone have the specs on the gear ratios for this transmission?

Allan

mab

Observer
Following this thread with interest as it may assist with my search for more oomph in my "engine swap" thread.

found the following link while surfing which gives engine/transmission models for the 80 series in section one "line up" + heaps of other body drawings

http://www.mitfuso.com/Content/Documents/pdf/Archive/FE_FG Part 2.pdf

Not much help to me with a 649. In my situation, 5 or 6 speed doesn't matter, it's the .72 ratio in overdrive which results in 2850rpm at 100kph. I would like to reduce the rpm @ 100kph.

yabanja

Explorer
I reduced the rpm by switching to 37" tires. This amplified the spread between the gears though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior