FG's in Action

dlh62c

Explorer
The point of this trip was to determine the limits of the vehicle and determine if it was going to be a feasible platform for multinational travel.

Once you start jumping continents, vehicle preservation will be foremost in your mind.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Given that asked... with the coil conversion that my truck has, I have 460mm under the transfer case (18") and 260mm under the diffs (10 1/4") with the 19.5"/Toyo M608 singles fitted.

With my spring setup I have 390mm (just over 15"s) under the transfer case and have 240mm ( a touch under 9.5") under the diffs with 3/4 worn 315/75x16 tyres.

Dan.

Raker

Observer
Hi Allan, I just watched your video and noticed a familiar clicking noise when you tried to drive out of the mud. Now I could be completely wrong but my truck made the same sound and I found that one wheel was not driving because the free wheeling hub's internal spacer was worn and bent and would not allow the hub to engage. The clicking noise is the teeth trying to mesh. As I said I could be wrong (hope I am) but wouldn't hurt to have a look.
Regards
Steve

yabanja

Explorer
Hi Allan, I just watched your video and noticed a familiar clicking noise when you tried to drive out of the mud. Now I could be completely wrong but my truck made the same sound and I found that one wheel was not driving because the free wheeling hub's internal spacer was worn and bent and would not allow the hub to engage. The clicking noise is the teeth trying to mesh. As I said I could be wrong (hope I am) but wouldn't hurt to have a look.
Regards
Steve

Hmm... Are you talking about the noise at 3 minutes 45 seconds? Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Was it a front or rear that was the problem on yours? I was pretty dug in on the right front and right rear. Since the front diff is open I assume that if I had a problem with slippage in the front neither wheel would work. The rear right was quite dug in but I was wondering if the left rear was working correctly with the lsd.(hence peering out the window).

Allan

Allan

Raker

Observer
Definitely the front for me Allan. Can't help with the LSD (I haven't broken it yet) I agree with the right front spinning so no drive to the left, it was the clicking noise that took me back to my own mud hole and the hours of fun that came with it. I wonder if the rear is an LSD? Stranger things happen.

Raker

Observer
Another thought Allan, If you don't hear any clicking noise when in 2wd then the rear diff is not the culprit.

dlh62c

Explorer
Maybe someone else can confirm this. I can remember reading about someone who reported their front hubs had been disassembled and reassembled incorrectly after having the brakes replaced. They reported they could turn the hubs to lock, but the hubs wouldn't engage.

EDIT:
I attached a link to Kym Bolton of GonnaTracks on the issue.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
My 4 wheel drive is certainly working, and the truck only has 50k miles. The front end has never been touched I don't think..... That sound is troubling though..

The truck has 10" under the diffs and 15.5" under the transfer case as it sits.

Allan

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
for reference ... about 5 years ago (is it really that long ago, June 28th 2010) first trip, stuck with one hub that didn't engage.

Worked out test later. Engage one hub, can turn drive shaft by hand. Engage two hubs can't turn drive shaft, hubs working ok, can turn drive shaft one or both hubs failed.

There are two springs, different lengths, in each hub. Assemble them in wrong sequence and hub won't engage.

JACI

Until your get yourself a winch, you probably should invest in a set of MaxTrax. :)

maybe he has a winch already, I have often wondered about wrapping a cable or spectra rope around the rear drum/wheel joint vee (only if you run singles) and then securing the other end forward or rearward and using the spinning wheel as a capstan...off course I realise the opposite wheel needs traction but quite often its only one wheel spinning. Wondering has anyone ever tried it, you would need good quality rope or cable and a shackle on the front axle as a guide would be helpful if wishing to go forward

Would have liked to have tried it in this situation

Attachments

• Trekking 2004 247.jpg
    Trekking 2004 247.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Trekking 2004 250.jpg
    Trekking 2004 250.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Trekking 2004 251.jpg
    Trekking 2004 251.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: