Finding a Camera

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Here is your answer in one long post....ROFLMAO!!!

This is spot on and hysterical

From now on when someone asks this question, we should just provide this link http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html

Pat, that hit the nail on the head perfectly. I've had this conversation with people all the time. Also, my own journey has been similar. Now, I'm at the point where I have been buying used bodies for 1/2 the cost of the latest.

Thanks for posting that. The author summed it up nicely.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Same reason I posted it. How many friends have I watched do the same exact thing.

I recommend a good, higher end body and a couple of top notch 'L' lenses to have them say "I'll never need all of that.

Fast forward a few years and they've spent thousands on lesser quality stuff and are finaly realizing they want those 'L' lenses and they're saving for that original body or what ever has taken over that model

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Also, I'd recommend used. A D90 or D300 (not D300s) or even a good D200 with 1 or 2 used pro lenses and you'd be set for a long time. Sure, you don't have a warranty, but you likely won't need it either. If you do, the lenses can often be repaired. The bodies can be replaced for even less in a few years if you do have an issue. If you buy quality, proven gear, you won't need the warranty.

Klierslc

Explorer
Famous last words of EVERY photographer buying their 1st camera.

Let us know where you're at within a few years of buying which ever one you end up with.

If I was getting a all-around P&S, I'd probably go with the new Canon PowerShot SX30 IS - 14.1 Megapixel, 24-840mm zoom Equivalent!!!!

I am not a photographer and never will be. Not even remotely interested. I think my 150 dollar canon takes fine pictures. However, it also screws up some good pictures.

Does the SX30 have the stuff that I want?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
No Auto pop up flash.....

So, that's the deal breaker, eh? No auto pop-up flash?

I just read the manual, and it does tell you when it recommends that you use flash. This thing looks super easy to use and has a lot of features for very little money.

Klierslc

Explorer
So, that's the deal breaker, eh? No auto pop-up flash?

I just read the manual, and it does tell you when it recommends that you use flash. This thing looks super easy to use and has a lot of features for very little money.

Pretty much.

My mother in law has a camera that "tells" you when to put up the flash. It works fine except that when you are trying to get a quick first shot off, and you don't put the flash up, you end up with a dark, unusable photo. Then, you curse, pull the flash up and proceed to miss the shot. As stated before, most pictures I take are of the kiddos x5. If you miss the shot with them, it is gone forever.

In any case, thanks to everybody for the comments and suggestions--It looks like the Sony HX-1 is the only camera that has all of the features that I want in my price range.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998