Firestone Aigbag (kit: 2116) for 91 Toy Pickup

allochris

Adventurer
I have a 91 ext-cab pickup with a camper in the back. I also did a u-bolt flip, so I now have 4 nuts & remaining of u-bolts ends sticking upward for about 1"-1.5" or so.

As camper is sagging when loaded from 5000lbs -6000lbs, (already have longer shackle/add-a-leaf), I would like airbags to stabilize & level the backend. Does anyone know if the standard Firestone Ritelite Airbag lower bracket (kit 2116) would interfere with my u-bolts ends/nuts above the spring pack?

or who has this 2116 kit? I'd like to get some measurements of lower bracket & vertical space needed between the bottom of frame steel bumpstop bracket and highest point of spring pack/u-bolts plate.

Thanks,
chris

ps, the kit is $245 at summit. Option b: Instead of installing airbags, how much do other suitable leaf pack goes for?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
My experience is not with this airbag configuration for leaf springs but I do have had the Airlift airbags installed inside my rear coils on my 04 4Runner for the last couple years. They have worked flawlessly and I am very happy with them. The only problem I had was I routed one air line too close to my exhaust heat shield which cause a slow leak. The folks at Summit Racing helped me to troubleshoot the problem and sent me free replacement air lines, even though it was really my own problem.

Bottom line, the Airlift bags have preformed well. I keep them aired down to around 5lbs around town and air them up to 15-20 lbs when towing my trailer. Glad I installed them. :victory:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Pushing 4 years with my Airlift airbags. No issues and no complaints. They really help bearing the load of a slide-in camper.

:campfire:

allochris

Adventurer
Looking at the Firestone manual, it actually shows the lower mount installed with existing U-bolts on top. Looks like the worst case scenario is to trim down the length of exposed threads on your existing u-bolts. Looks pretty simple overall.

For more simplicity, and very effective extra load carrying capabilities, you can look into ZUKcoils :kewl:

I though of that of course...but i wasn't sure weather i was to do 1 in the middle, or 1 on each side.

Since my truck sometimes sits a bit crooked sideway depending on my load, airbags are indeed handy for that adjustment.

As for my u-bolt flip applicaton, looks like Airlift might be better suited for me. (As airbags mounted behind axle vs over axle)

I've found another place with AirLift at $175.99. http://www.carparts.com/autoparts/I...1558241/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000018860411558241

The only problem is that this kit 59502 is for 2wd or 4x4 reg cab. Its airbags specification are designed for rideheight of 4"-4.75", & its dimension are 2.6" compressed/6.25" extended, & 5.1" OD.

versus

the not in stock 59517kit for 4x4 extended cab, with airbags specification for rideheight of 4"-4.75", & dimension of 2.4" compressed/7" extended, & 4.6" OD.

As far as i know, isn't reg & extended cab 4x4 exactly similar in the rear suspension design & dimension? Can someone elaborate on why Airlift have 1 kit for reg cab & 1 other for extra-cab...???

bruzer1123

Observer
I purchased the Firestone airbags for a 1993 pickup (looks like the same kit you are looking at FIP-2116 for $246 a summit racing http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...+4294924761+115+4294907043&Ntk=KeywordSearch).

My only long drive with them was from Prince Rupert, BC to Forks, WA. They performed awesome. We had roughly the same weight as we did when we drove from Maine to BC and it rode much better. My only issue was that I short-cut the install (oops) and never made sure I didn't have leaks...so after a few days the bags empty out. My only complaint is they are rough when not loaded. Pretty poor on washboard roads (it does get better if you inflate them a bit). Also airbags inflated without weight makes the truck raked and the headlights don't point properly.

If you need measurements, let me know and I will see what I can do for you.
:rockon:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior