First Post: Ferrying a beat up race car from Wisconsin to San Francisco in December

autoxmike

First post here. I always like a good adventure - such as when me & my brothers built a Cobra kit car then drove it from Oregon to Atlanta as it's test drive...

Anyway - last month I agreed to get a 1987 Plymouth Reliant station wagon that had been converted into a 24 Hours of LeMons race car from Wisconsin to San Francisco. It didn't have heat and was spectacularly unreliable. The car had been built earlier in the year then passed from team to team as it raced in dozen races across the country. To participate in the final race of the year it needed to get to San Francisco, it didn't have heat, and was spectacularly unreliable. SO naturaly I volunteered. As a bonus a Checker Marathon, also converted to a race car and also without heat, joined the adventure in Denver...

If there is interest here I can write up the story....

autoxmike

BTW I do have a rig that I want to take on real expedition someday - a 2001 Chevy 3500 Conversion Van with Quigley 4x4 conversion...

autoxmike

First question:Trying to post pictures and tried "Insert Image" button, but when I hit that button the screen "freezes" and I can't do anything. How do I post pictures?

nickburt

Observer
Apparently, the insert image function isn't working too well. Work around is to type:

Where xxx is the url of the image - making sure the url ends in .jpg.

autoxmike

Hyper-focus when driving a race car may be the best part of wheel to wheel racing. Nothing else exists in the world. The past is the past and the future is not important. NOW is all the exists. Turn 1 at Sear's Point – a flat out left hander, up the hill to Turn 2. It is late in the day and the sun is blinding – but I noticed this last lap and memorized the scene ahead for the 2 seconds of terror when the sun blotted out everything. Brake, toss the race car into Turn 2, and go. The car responds well to T3 – a left hander at the bottom of a hill that puts the suspension under heavy compression. Turn 4 is right hander that is at the crest of a hill and a great passing opportunity. Turn in late, get on the power early and blow by 2 cars exiting T4 on the way to T5. The biggest ill of this car is exposed in T6, the carousel, where the push is more than excessive when trying to accelerate around, down, and out of T6. Turn 7 leads to the Esses and the car responds much better than expected – and I pass 2 more cars on the Esses – the Esses damn it! It has been a long journey to get here – racing at a new track on the other coast from Atlanta and driving a car that is responding. The long trip was worth it to drive a machine like Balto – a Miata powered by a 3 cylinder Polaris snowmobile motor with a snowmobile CVT.

Without warning clutch pedal disappears. Gone. My toe digs into the floor to find it flat against the floorboards. Decision time – come in or just go? Go! Just keep it in 3rd gear and drive hard, and the car still responds as we keep passing cars – and I'm passing way more cars than are passing me. The clutch failure briefly pulls me out of hyper-focus mode. Clutch? CVT? I'm not in Balto. I'm in the “Super K”.

The journey to get to this moment has been long, strange, and in most ways very gratifying. For those not familiar with the backstory, the “Super K” is a 1987 Plymouth Reliant station wagon and is part of the often maligned K car lineup that “saved” the Chrysler Corporation in the 1980s. The K was transformed from an unloved, fake wood bodied piece of transportation into a car for the race track at the behest of Judge Phil (the Chief Justice and leader of bad ideas for the 24 Hours of LeMons) by NSF Racing - a 24 Hour of LeMons team out of Florida. Another equally brilliant person came up with the idea of passing “The K” from one team to another with the goal of having the K race at as many races during the 2013 race season as possible.

December is not the best time of the year to drive a race car from Chicago to Sonoma, California – even if it still had a heater. This actually began for us a few weeks before when Adam and I drove from Chicago to Racine, WI to so we could move the K to Adam's place near Chicago to prep for the journey west. The evening was a preview of things to come – it was the coldest so far this season and the K had not heat. Adam offered to drive the K back while I followed. It was 17 degrees and the K did not have heat yet.

The heater that Adam helped fab uses the heater core from a Peter's Supra LeMons car along with the blower from Kevin's LeMons MX-3, along with a bunch of zip ties, hose clamps, and heater hose.

Next: Departure day...

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
This looks like it will be a fun read.:wings: Brings back memories of me 20 years ago and some of the stuff I did.

autoxmike

Departure day arrives.

With the help of prep work Adam the K is humming along. The day is cool but bright. The heater works and is almost keeping up with the 25 degree December chill. The K is making good time through Iowa. It has been 4 hours since leaving South Holland, Illinois. I'm even cautiously optimistic that the K and I will get along well and have a trouble-free journey together sharing experiences as we get to know each other better. The K evokes great reactions from fellow motorists – thumbs up, pointing & laughing, and lots of pictures. For amusement I start taking pictures of people taking pictures of the K.

Was that a miss? Another? Damn – the stumble quickly grows and before the next exit appears the K is dead on the shoulder of I-80. The reality sinks in quickly. Iowa is place where the exit ramps are few and far between, and I'm alone with a dead race car that I know almost nothing about. As a bonus, mid-way through the racing season the K had been blowing up the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder motors which had been addressed in typical LeMons fashion – a transplanted V6 motor and 5 speed transmission that was never intended for a Reliant.

The “K car trophy” – built as each teams adds a broken piece from the car after each event – is used as a wheel chock

I was hooked on LeMons and wheel to wheel racing since by first ever race less than 3 years ago. Shortly after my first race autocross buddies Mark & Peter joined me in building a second MX-3 as part of the Hong Norrth race team. Building and racing "Sumbich" over the past 2 years taught us all a lot about building, fixing, and racing cars. More than anyhting we all learned about perseverance. Now was the time to call on the hard won skills. Hood open, pull the coil wire, and position it near a ground where I can see it when cranking the K. We have spark so it must be fuel. Pull the fuel line feeding the fuel injector rail and zip tie it so that any gas that comes out is pointed away from the motor, crank her over. No gas. The K has many endearing qualities but one of them it doesn't have is working gauges – such as the gas gauge. Hopefully the K is only out of gas.

As I am standing there by myself it hits me - I am not alone. Just before leaving Chicago I installed tracker software on my phone which allowed K car "enthusiasts", friends, and family to track the path of the K in real time. I also post on the LeMons internet discussion board that the K is dead. My phone rings and it is DC Doug. "We know where you are and we have help on the way". A glance at the tracker app shows 25 people following along.

Hike to the nearest exit a few miles away to get some gas.

The 2 mile hike to the nearest exit is pleasantly interrupted when a pickup truck stops, the window rolls down, and first of many helpful people that I met on this journey asks if I need a ride. He then tells me that there is a police trooper checking out the K – and on cue flashing lights appear behind us. The trooper offers a ride to the gas station and back – on the promise that I'll get my driver's license that I just handed him back when I produce the registration & insurance cards for the amazing K.

Gas in the K does nothing. Up until now I thought I let down the K. Word is that the tow will take a while so my police buddy has my back and stands guard behind me as we wait

Then he speeds off to an accident behind us, and I see my tow truck deflected to handle the accident – and it is back on me to get the K off the road. A call to Steve M, the guy who did a while lot of work on the K, yields useful info. “The K has a new fuel tank and fuel pump. The fuel pump wires may have been shorted out as they are exposed and under the pile of race tires & spare parts in the back of the K”. So I empty the K on the side of I-80, steal a wire from the stero system wiring harness, jump the fuel pump to the battery – and the K fires. Load up the K, and refire it while holding the emergency fuel pump wire to the battery convenientaly located where the passenger seat used to be, and limp the K to the gas station. Thinking it could be the fuel pump relay I take the relay. Apart it comes. The contacts appear to be mis-aligned so I bend them a bit, install the relay, and presto – the K fires.

Last edited:

autoxmike

Back on the road but the 3 hours lost leaves the goal of 1100miles for the day ending at my brother's place at the base of Pike's Peak in tatters on the side if I-80. Even though I don't want to I am starting to believe the repuation of the K heaping it's owners with electrical problems. Time to put down some miles. As we cross into Nebraska, the 3rd state of the day confidence is once again building and I decide to press into the night.

Approaching Kearny Nebraska the lack of any weather stripping on the K along with falling temperatures and the loss of the radiant heat of the sun makes the interor of the K less than warm. The number of people following this stupid adventure contunues to grow - 20 people even this late are night!

Time to get off the road – and once again a follower steps up. Bob of NSF Racing calls ahead to Kearrney and when I arrive a warm, paid for room is waiting. Thanks Bob! The K even gets the all star treatment.

People have been asking my why I am doing this – especially since I have no plans to even race the K at Sears Point. The best answer I have before the start of this saga was that the K and I both needed to get to California for the 2014 LeMons Finale race. A few months ago it seemed like a great idea for me and The K to do this together. The sense of accomplishemnt after fixing the K on the side of I-80 makes me realize that I enjoy a challenge that tests skills, inginuity, and perseverence. Maybe that is the answer to the “Why” question.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12