first trip w/ baby and 'runner!!

pELYgroso

...Somewhat new to ExPortal, but extremely excited to start doing more overland/camping adventures now that we have a little one! My wife and I have camped pretty regularly up to when she got prego and started to get uncomfortable. This last weekend we took our first trip in my freshly built (from stock) '86runner, AND it was the first camping trip for our little girl who is 7 weeks old. I'm not really seeing many other posts w/ children this young. Would you guys say that it's a little too young? We went overnight, and I tried to bring anything we might need!

So, we didn't do any wheeling on this trip (don't even have a front DS yet) but it was the first time i'd had my runner anywhere but around here. I was a little worried about freeway handling, etc, and lugginess with the auto tranny, but the truck did great! It pulled up most hills at 60, and the only thing that kept me from going much over 65 on the flats and downhill was a little bit of a DS vibration. Once I get the u joints replaced I don't think it'll have any problem doing 70-75! (as long as there is no head wind ) Did I mention that the A/C was cranked the whole way back and it kept us chilly, while doing 65??? I love it!

We also used the SUV tent that we recently purchased, and I love that set-up! We sleep in the back of the runner, and have our "living room" down in the tent! It works out great! For trips like this camping on the beach, a camper might be nice, but for more remote destinations where a camper or trailer couldn't go, I don't know if there could be a much nicer set-up!!! We used a tarp to extend out the awning for some extra shade for the baby.

I also (finally) used the army medical box w/ drawers that I bought awhile back to make my "camp in a box" that includes all of the little camping stuff that usually takes forever to pack and you usually end up forgetting something important like toilet paper or bug spray. I arranged the drawers (which have organization dividers in them) to fit pretty much all of the camping necessities that I could think of. Now when we go camping we'll have to pack some clothes, sleeping bags, tent, the cooler, and the rest is ready to go in the box. I got 2 boxes, and the other one will be in the runner permanently as my tools/fluids/recovery gear box (leaving the drawers out) They both fit perfectly between the wheel wells. You can see the drawers in one of the pics, and the tool box is on the floor of the tent as our step up into the runner.

I built this rig as a DD/weekend camping/mild wheeling/drive to moab and back comfortably rig and I couldn't be happier so far with the 'runner and it's performance! Now for a front DS so that I can have some more fun with it!

What do you all think? I still have plenty more mods to the 'runner that i want to do like a house battery routed to a couple solar panels, roof rack for light stuff that takes up space in the back like camp chairs and sleeping bags, swing away spare tire carrier w/ jerry can/hi lift holder.....the list goes on. I'm just stoked that it's finally street legal and ready for some camping action!!

Attachments

• 2010-09-11 14.12.22.jpg
    2010-09-11 14.12.22.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 75
  • 2010-09-11 14.13.59.jpg
    2010-09-11 14.13.59.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 2010-09-12 13.15.17.jpg
    2010-09-12 13.15.17.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2010-09-11 15.49.54.jpg
    2010-09-11 15.49.54.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 2010-09-11 14.14.13.jpg
    2010-09-11 14.14.13.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 140

pELYgroso

More pics....I love the one in the last post looking from the inside of the 'runner into the tent w/ my wife, and if you look closely under the pink blanket, the little one is konked out.....oh, the joy!

Attachments

• 2010-09-11 14.14.22.jpg
    2010-09-11 14.14.22.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2010-09-11 14.13.45.jpg
    2010-09-11 14.13.45.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2010-09-12 10.37.42.jpg
    2010-09-12 10.37.42.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 2010-09-12 10.37.08.jpg
    2010-09-12 10.37.08.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2010-09-12 10.38.38.jpg
    2010-09-12 10.38.38.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 56

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I wouldn't say too young at all. I have freinds that have taken similar age babies on Moab trips, winter camping (Moody, how old do you think Jeremy's baby was at the Lucin Sun Tunnels last winter? Maybey 12 weeks?). Break them in!

Moody

Needs to get out more
The Green's baby, Kolby must have been 2-3 months max. We have taken both of our kids when they were infants. We took my kids to Death Valley in December (~25 deg. overnight) when Livy was 6 months old.

I think kids are easier when they are younger...they can't crawl into fires quite yet:Wow1:.

Keep taking your little girl out there. I love hearing my kids ask when the next trip is...

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
great setup!
I like the medical boxes, that's a great idea.
There are always a million little things you have to dig around for- that makes it easy...
I have to keep an eye out for those...

5Runner

Adventurer
Never too young!!

Way to go, welcome, fellow expedition family!

Check out the "post your passed out" thread for other great pics of kids/babies passed out in mid-expedition. Yours might be the youngest on that thread!!

bsautry

pELYgroso, I like your set-up. Do you happen to know the National Stock Number or NSN on those medical cases? It should be stenciled on the boxes and be 13 numbers. I love the idea of the boxes and it is much easier to search with the numbers.

I know, I am showing that I am a logistics geek. :coffeedrink:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Our little guy (10 lbs 11 oz as of yesterday!) is 12 days old. We are going to attempt our first camping trip over Thanksgiving which will put him at 12 weeks old. We're going somewhere close just in case it ends up in a disaster. Like Cruiseroutfit said, "Break them in early!"

racingjason

Adventurer
After the first few weeks when things have settled down (mostly for the parents) you are only limited by your (read the mother's) own comfort. We took our little guy out for a couple of nights when he was about 5 weeks old and a few times other times during that first summer. Stormed like hell the first night but all was well. They are pretty predictable at that age. The following spring we hit the road to Baja for a month when he was about 10 months old; great fun but a lot of work. Keep it up, it gets better as you get more organized.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 64
  • IMGP0349.jpg
    IMGP0349.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 68

Valkiera

Observer
A bit late to the party here, but most of my infant pictures are of me camping. Other then the obligatory Christmas tree and Halloween ones, I think they are all from my folks out camping/fishing/hunting!

Cindy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman