Flatbed with Wheel Wells

KevinF

First off, I know it's not a flatbed if it has wheel wells. That said, I have an Outfitter Apex camper that I use on my 2006 F350; and I would like to replace my truck box with one that doesn't have sides but keeps the bed height as low as practical (stock) which rules out a true flatbed. This would make loading and unloading the camper far easier, and would allow me to utilize the space on either end of the wheel wells more efficiently. I can't imagine that I'm the first one to consider doing this; but I have been looking and haven't found any mention of this having been done. Is this a good idea or am I missing something?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The few slide-in camperss that I've been inside of had interior access doors to make use of that space forward of the wheel well. Yours doesn't?

To answer your question, it could be done. I can't say that I've ever seen a production version, but I have seen a couple owner-built. It wouldn't be all that big of a project for the right welder-fabricator.

I would look into using the various ready made service bed boxes for secure storage forwards of the wells. There is no reason that there has to be bed surface in those areas, so the boxes could fit just under the camper and extend below the bed surface if desired. The volumes between the wheel wells and the camper could be filled with boxes as well. Depending on the build of the box, it might be that the rear and inner faces of the wells would be the only parts that were custom.

KevinF

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like there's an easy (commercial) solution; so I signed up for a welding class at the local tech school. I needed a project anyway...

SpaceJamHikes

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't sound like there's an easy (commercial) solution; so I signed up for a welding class at the local tech school. I needed a project anyway...
How'd this pan out? I've been thinking of the exact same design: a non-flatbed flatbed with wheel wells so you can keep the deck as low as possible and then have storage boxes in front of the wheel wells. 15 years after this post and I still can't find many examples lol

1stDeuce

Explorer
I made a flatbed for my GMC K2500 several years ago. No lift and 265/75R16 tires but one extra leaf in the pack. My goal was to build it as low as possible. I used 2" square tube as the longitudinal frame of the bed, and 2" square tube cross supports on top of that. That put the bed surface 4" off the original bed mounts, which works out to the bed floor being 2" higher than the original bed. Theoretically if compressed to metal on metal, the tire would have just contacted the underside of the floor. I used that truck pretty rough for several years, including lots of overload driving around our property with 5-6000lbs on it. (I converted it to dump not long after I built it.) When I sold it there was no evidence of rubbing above where the tires were.

I don't think you need wheel wells if you're willing to sacrifice just a little on bed height. A 2" higher floor to have a flatbed that isn't interrupted is probably a good tradeoff. If you have a taller Ford or Dodge, I suspect you could go even lower, to the point where you may only need the 2" cross supports and could skip the longitudinal frame if you made it right. That would give you the same height floor as the factory bed, which is going to be pretty hard to beat!

Inline6

Adventurer
seems like an old thread, but

nNDMI10.jpg

Mrkyak

Nice job! I'm working on an aluminum flat bed for my '23 Ram 3500. Can you share how the spare tire carrier is mounted? I'm running 37s and thought it would be located behind cab between camper. Trying to design a section of the flatbed that would pull out, angle down and serve as a ramp for tire access. Your solution definitely is less brain damage.

Inline6

Adventurer
For the spare tire. I just made a triangle subframe and put a receiver tube as the top center piece. Then a spare tire mounting plate from ruff stuff. Slide it in and out easy. I built it like the AEV tire carrier for jeeps. I have a bolt on the back of the tube to help hold it in. Could also just do a normal hitch pin for more adjustability. So fairly simple overall design. Has held up well.

I need to finish up the headache rack stuff. I may make the bed about 6 inches longer in the process. Then I could lower the spare down a bit, but honestly it's not in the way at all. I don't miss the bed space one bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior