Flowmaster 44 vs Flowmaser 44 off Road.

biglos454

Adventurer
if your looking to add the performance of an after market exhaust but want to keep it quiet, look into hush power mufflers. they add the performance that a flow master gives you but are damn near stock sounding at regular engine speeds. u get a bit of a bark out of them at full throttle but even then its still quieter than a flow master. my experience with exhaust has always been the louder the faster lol but thats because i spend alot of time down at the track. but a friend of mine has a sleeper monte carlo with hush powers on it. you would never know it has a juiced 7.0 in it till he takes your mustang by 5 car lengths lol.

X_Trippin

Observer
Look at a 50 series Flowmaster. I'm running a 40 and love the deep rumble from the 4.0 (I sometimes get asked how hard it was to get the V-8 in the XJ), but it is pretty loud; it's not for everybody. The 50 series has about 25% less rumble, but still a very pleasing sound.

-----Matt-----

I was going to say the same. I would look at a 50 series. Actually, I'm going to look at a 50 series that has 2 in and 1 out. This is due to the extremely restricted Y pipe on the Xterra. The pipe coming from the left bank loses close to 50% of its diameter when it hits the Y.

TheMike

Adventurer
I have the FLowmaster 44 on my LJ and at this point will do it again if it needs replacing. I wasn't aware of the "offroad" version at the time of purchase (is that the diamond plated version) so no comments on that. To me, it sounds like a Jeep should and it's nothing too overwhelming. It's definately louder than stock but it's definately not glasspack loud either.

When I broke my track bar axle mount, the drive shaft was beating the crap out of the muffler when the body shifted way over. Other than a denting from that, it still performs as new. If the offroad version is just a different shell, I believe it would be a waste of money for that upgrade.

The 44 is a good Jeep muffler!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I had the Flowmaster 50, dual cat-back on my Xterra and am running the Flowmaster 40, dual cat-back on my Jeep JK

I've got it mounted right in front of the Evap-can on the jeep and both pipes run outboard of the can and sit a little higher, so there's no clearance probs

The sound of the 40 is very nice, with drone, only if i'm running in to high a gear

:victory::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
I have an el-cheapo Cherry Bomb turbo muffler on my 4.0 XJ. Cost $17 at AutoZone, tucks up to the body nicely and sounds good. It has a little bit of burble at idle, but isn't overly loud on the highway or on the trail.

Plus for $17 I can replace it several times before it gets expensive.

jerdog53

Explorer
I had a single 3" 50 series Flow on my 77 F250 with a nice drone but a much longer wheel base and more displacement so i would think the noise would be about the same with a 4.0l and shorter WB and is what i was going to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12