Price Drop $7,500: 2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE w/ HD Package - Overland Ready

DVD

Adventurer
[Edits note: This is my first listing for the vehicle, and I'm updating the listing based on questions I receive and things thought about after the initial posting. Most of the edits are in the "It's a Land Rover thing" (known problems) section.]

The vehicle: 2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE w/ HD Package (locking rear differential). 214K miles. Overland enthusiast owned (since 94K miles). HD package, Cold Weather Package, Towing Package, 7 Seat Package. Owners manuals, 2 keys, thick folder with maintenance records. NO LEAKS. Engine strong, transmission solid and smooth.
  • Oil changes every 5K.
  • Diff and transfer case fluids changed every 1 - 2 yrs (diff oil always clean when drained and magnets don't have any shavings)
  • Transmission flushed / changed 4x since I've had it.
Vehicle looks and rides good, although not without some blemishes and a bit of trail damage. Because we take the vehicle into remote areas, I have always maintained it excessively to ensure it would get us into the wilderness and back.

IMG_20240426_181520865.jpg

IMG_20240426_181409213.jpg

IMG_20240426_181431051.jpg

IMG_20240426_181601050_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240426_181647320_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240426_182318539_HDR.jpg

Lots of overland/offroad extras. I would like to sell as "turnkey" overland vehicle with all the build items.
  • 18-in rims with BFG ATKO 2 (265 65 18). Full size matching spare.
  • ARB air compressor mounted under hood (for air-up and on-trail repair)
DSCN3105.JPG

• Yaesue Ham Radio (stealth install: I usually mount the head-unit and mic for trips only)
DSCN3497.JPG

DSCN3495.JPG

under-seat.jpg

• Traxide dual battery system with Optima Yellow Top as second battery (2x 12v and USB outlets direct to 2nd battery, great for fridge, images in next reply)
  • Baja roof rack with shovel/axe mount and hi-lift mount
  • Complete set of Asfir skid plates (images in next reply)
  • Front Runner ladder
  • Terra Firma rock sliders (a couple dents where they have done their job - instant credibility)
  • Trailer hitch
  • Knightsbridge tactical seat covers, front (I have removed them for the sale, so you can see the seats are in good shape). Here's a link to the Knightsbridge site to see the seat covers: https://knightsbridgeoverland.com/c...ers/products/land-rover-lr3-front-seat-covers
  • 3M matte black hood cover

Many new mechanical bits:
Water pump, front prop shaft, rear prop shaft, front tie rods, front upper control arms, drop links, arb bushings, front windshield, panoramic roof glass, oil change all in the last 1K miles (getting ready to sell). Front lower control arms, AMD compressor, and all diff and transfer, and transmission fluids changed in the last 5K miles.

Price: $7,500

It's a Land Rover thing - known problems. Disclaimer, this is a 19-year-old vehicle that has been used in the field - what it is built for. It can be better to buy a vehicle that has been taken on trails and maintained for that purpose than one that takes trips to the mall with minimal maintenance. I hope the next owner is a fellow enthuiast and I don't want any surprises.
Passenger heated seat doesn't heat. Crease on passenger door side (trail damage from tree and hi-lift, see images in reply below). Clear coat is starting to fade. Dash cover replacement (fits well and covers cracked dash). Intermittent suspension fault display (false positive, doesn't cause vehicle to drop, just shows fault and goes away after a few minutes (or with restart or GAP tool reset). Infrequent, random engine misfire code (misfire in first 1K rpms), seems to be related to colder weather and either goes away after x cycles without the issue or with code clearing. To address this, I replaced spark plugs within the last 5K miles and one suspect coil, but that didn't do the trick. Maybe MAF, but I haven't chased it down. Infrequent enough that the vehicle passed emissions a month ago. Tires are OK, a year or so left, but they are on the back half of their life. Electronic parking brake doesn't work - hasn't for 10 years. Instead of spending $3k for a body-off replacement, I carry wheel chocks. Note that emergency brake works fine, as a redundant system; it's just the electronically activated parking brake that doesn't work. Lazy door lock actuators (not on drivers door), such that when you press lock on the key fob, it sets the alarm system but doesn't always lock all the doors. If needed, I manually press the door locks in (just like the old days) before exiting the drivers door to ensure that all doors are actually locked.

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
A few more photos:
  • Traxide dual battery system (I took the battery covers off for the photo)
GEDC1128.JPG

• Full set of Asfir skid plates (front skid, tranny skid, Air reservoir skid, rear diff skid)
IMG_20240323_170625376.jpg

IMG_20240323_171031667.jpg

And a few adventure photos of the LR3 in its element; it's ready for more!

15 - 49.jpg

Black Bear Pass

Screenshot 2016-10-24 at 11.01.05 PM.png

Rebelle Rally vehicle (inagural edition)

Copy of IMG_4830.jpg

Dirty Devil crossing

2014-08-29 17.58.45.jpg

Hunt Mesa

DSCN5099.JPG

Baja

DSCN2488.JPG

San Juan Mountains

PXL_20231230_005111633.MP.jpg

Mojave Trail (most recent trip)

DVD

Adventurer
If I knew how nice she cleans up, I would have done it more often :), a wax job and back-to-black do wonders. I took random photos from various angles. Somebody inquired about the passenger side damage, so here are a couple to try to highlight that.
IMG_20240428_083649319_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240428_083706716_HDR.jpg

See below for a photo of the clear-coat fade; there are a couple additional like this, but I'd say this is the worst.
IMG_20240429_163907773_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

DVD

Adventurer
Can you provide pictures of the cracked dash and a VIN (to look up Carfax)? Thanks!
Hi, sure, the VIN is SALAG25425A314315.

Dash cover replacement is a solid, full cover and affixed with adhesive. The dash wasn't bad, as LR3 cracked dashes go, but It looks a lot better with the cover - one of those where I wished I had done it sooner. Here's another interior photo of the dash:
IMG_20240429_163839628_HDR.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12