Ford Transit van to be built in Kansas City

haven

Expedition Leader
FedEx drivers and adventure travel vehicle fans rejoice!

A press release from the UAW confirms that the Ford Transit van will be built in Ford's Kansas City truck plant. The Sprinter-size vehicle will be called the T-Series. Production should begin in 2013.

Here's hoping that the tall and narrow van gets diesel power like its European counterpart enjoys. And is it too much to ask for a 4x4 version? Let's also hope that Ford doesn't emulate the Sprinter van's high prices.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/full-s...-for-u-s-may-be-called-t-250-t-450-and-t-550/

haven

Expedition Leader
The Work Truck Show is a little like SEMA for commercial trucks. The show runs this week in Indianapolis.

At the Work Truck Show, Ford announced that the EcoBoost V6 would be available in the new Transit full size van. The EcoBoost V6 is expected to improve mpg about 25% compared to the gas V8 engine in the current E-Series truck. No mention was made about other engine options, particularly the diesel engines offered by Ford in the Europe, where the Transit is the most popular large van.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well it can't be any worse than the Sprinter vans. I test drove a pair of those. Have you ever noticed how the Sprinter vans never seem to be keeping up in Freeway traffic? I know why......

I actually loathe these things. Just another el cheapo truck that'll keep me from getting a real 1 ton truck as a work vehicle. So I'm not getting the expo friendly part at all? Why are these a better choice than a pickup for camping?

Rumor has it that the E series won't be passing the upcoming roll over laws. Allthough I have no idea how my current E350's pass any safety standard at all? Are little comercial use work trucks immune to such laws?

I don't see how a premium engine like the Ecoboost is a good fit for a cheap van. Can the Ecoboost tow a 10,000 pound trailer like the obsolete E series. How long deos it last if the owner forgets to change oil every once in a while? Something not uncommon for E van drivers to forget. Oddly enough, when your work truck is actually something you're proud of, it gets more attention.

The E vans get the big wheezy low performance 2 valve engines for a reason or two. The better 3 valve 5.4L engines require premium care that vans will never get, and cost more to buy and service. The older, weaker 2 valve engines can handle alot more abuse. The E series currently is offered with a 2v 5.4L or 2v 6.8L or 4.6L (I think it was just a 2v model as well but I didn't recognize the valve covers).

It's a shame that Ford couldn't update its E series chassis and body into something more like the current Chevy vans (still "ick" but at least they'll travel in a sorta stright line down the freeway. And they flip over less.). The E series has excellent huge brakes, reliable engines, and decent transmissions. But that floppy old chassis and body are really hard to drive on todays freeways, and with a trailer my E350 was a white knuckle ride.

Last edited:

willriseley

Have one of these which im converting, not a bad van and if you guys get the diesels im seeing 32mpg with a camper conversion in the back

It's a shame that Ford couldn't update its E series chassis and body into something more like the current Chevy vans (still "ick" but at least they'll travel in a sorta stright line down the freeway. And they flip over less.).

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that Ford vans always crab down the road a little cattiwompus. What's up with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior