four wheel camper construction

rosser

does anyone know when four wheel camper went to "all aluminum/ no rot" construction? Looking for a used one but dont want to deal with any major issues that come with leaks and wood rot that alot of older popups (and campers in general) deal with.
Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
They've had aluminum framing for as long as I can remember. 30+ years at least. The have aluminum framing but the balance can be wood,plastic etc.

rosser

ok thanks for your reply. there is a 2007 thats in great shape in my area and dont have a problem with older if im not buying a headache.. one too many pop up trailer stories that ive heard around the fire...

tacollie

Glamper
2007 shouldn't have any partial board. It will have a 2 piece roof. For the most part they are solid. You will be able to tell if it has leaked. Our neighbors have a 06' that has been rock solid.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Luckily, the most important pieces that were previously made of wood are easy to inspect - the Lift Panels fore/aft seem to be the main things I've seen people had to deal with replacement on. If the lift panels on your 2007 model look good, then that's a strong bit of info.

ThePartyWagon

FWC uses aluminum tube framework from your bed rails up. The lower portion of the camper, bed rails and below, is made of wood. This isn't cheap pressed particle junk though. There are some minor exceptions but that's the general recipe as far back as 20 years ago, probably longer as others have said. Their aluminum frame is really where I consider their reputation to come from. It's quiet often lighter, and definitely stronger, than most of the long standing slide in companies. Some of the newcomers are doing some cool stuff with composite materials but they tend to be more expensive for that reason.

Herbie is spot on. The older lift panels were made of wood and wear out over time. They can be replaced with the current composite panels but FWC need specific measurements and it's still a bit of a project. Use that as a bargaining chip if those are worn out at all.

I've never seen any issues with the lower wood construction unless it came from user error/destruction. Keep those turnbuckles tight. I'd also give the vinyl top a very good look over. Some of the older campers used different pop up fabric and it's a major project to replace if you have issues.

Electrical can be pretty easily upgraded, siding can be patched or repaired. If you find one with fiberglass siding, look it over for cracks. Check the underside of the bed area, on the exterior, that is also a laminated wood.

Ask the seller to pull the camper from the truck if it's still installed. I'd still want to see the camper from below before purchasing second hand. Check the anchor points in the wood base, make sure there is no rot like you're referring to. I've seen 20+ year old campers in great condition if they were taken care of. I've also seen three year old campers totaled because people don't check their turnbuckles. Buy a fresh set of turnbuckles and keep the old ones as spares.

Feel free to reach out if you have specific questions.

Good luck on the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior