Fridge Size

Captm

Adventurer
I'm in the processes of building out my Flippac and trying to decide on what size fridge to install. I currently use an Edgestar 43 which has worked well but I want more capacity as well as frontloading. I'm looking at the Truck Fridge TF65 and the TF130.
http://www.truckfridge.com/models.html What have others found in regards to the size of their fridge? Does anyone wish they went with a larger or smaller fridge?
Thanks

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We have 110 liter Dometic with a freezer. Just returned from a 2 week trip. We didn't restock until 10 days into the trip and that was mostly for fresh fruit and we usually keep 6 to 8 beers in the fridge. This was for 2 adults and a 5 year old. My wife packs the fridge pretty efficiently.

subterran

Adventurer
Smaller Fridges

Hi,
I can't speak directly about the truckfridges units you mentioned, but they look just like Dometic (Waeco) models, and those I know. I have 2 campers - One is a cargo trailer conversion that i built myself :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU450o6Zuo

It has a Dometic CR-65, a 2.3 cf (65L) front open 12v only compressor model. It works fine, but you have to keep the setting knob north of '5' for it to be truly cold. It uses about 45 watts when it's running.

My other camper is an old Phoenix "woody" popup truck camper. I am currently updating the interior (getting rid of the awful wood panel look, replacing cabinet doors, upgrade the fridge) For this build, I went with a Norcold 0040. This is a 12v compressor front-open 1.7 cf (48L) unit. It uses 35 watts when running. I think it runs a little more than the other one, but I can say that I like the interior layout of this smaller one better than the bigger one. I can actually get more cans (!) in it somehow. It seems great set at '4'.

Both of these have little freezers up top.

The major difference is how the compressors are mounted in each, The Dometic has it across the rear top (like the truckfridge ones), taking up the top rear quarter of the box (with the freezer section taking up the remainder) while the Norcold unit uses one entire corner (like an Engle), making the inside sort of triangular, or wedge shaped.

Maybe it's just me, and I should throw away some of the swell plastic shelving included with the the Dometic to gain more space. The Dometic model has lots of little shelves and compartments. It looks neat, but it makes bad use of space, IMHO. I suppose it also depends on if you are more concerned with keeping lunch meat, steaks and bacon cold, or cans(!). If I had it to do over, I'd go with the Norcold in both campers, for overall space and energy efficiency.

As far as space management, I am good with replacing cans(!) as I use them. I would guess that an efficient packer could get a week of food in there, considering not all of what we eat needs refrigeration.

By the way - they both make a little noise. I think the Norcold is a little louder than the Dometic, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior