Frige use in a bear locker

Magnum Johnson

Observer
My family and I will once again be in the Sierras this summer but this year will be our first with out Waeco CF40 fridge and that complicates things. Should we choose to stay in a campground with bear lockers, what would be the best way to keep the fridge running while in the bear locker?

I think that my plan so far is to run a dual battery system with two 125ah deep cycles that will be charged through my truck and/or through a 100w (maybe 2x 100w) solar panels, but what would be best for running the fridge in the hot steel bear locker, running wire into the bear locker (I am 99% sure you can snake wire through the vent in the back), or just throwing one battery at a time in the locker with the fridge while the other charges?

My least favored option for this plan is to just use the Waeco as a freezer to make ice for a cooler...Lame

dstock

Explorer
I keep mine in the Jeep, throw a beach towel over it and use a 100 watt solar panel to keep things charged if we aren't driving around. I think the only campground that doesn't allow that is Yosemite.

dstock

Explorer
Guess it depends on the campground/host, never had an issue in and around the Mammoth area campgrounds.

doug720

Expedition Leader
We spend 6 - 8 weeks a year in one of the most bear populated areas of the Sierra. Bears - We see bear every day. We leave our cooler in the LandCruiser covered without issue.

It's covered and we keep things very clean, no trash, and anything that has a strong food smell sealed well. We are camping in a motorhome, which has food inside. So if a bear want's in, they can get in, just take a few precautions and you will be fine.

Clean camp, no trash, no open food packages, wash dishes away from camp, cook away from sleeping area, have fun.

zracer

Banned
We spend 6 - 8 weeks a year in one of the most bear populated areas of the Sierra. Bears - We see bear every day. We leave our cooler in the LandCruiser covered without issue.

It's covered and we keep things very clean, no trash, and anything that has a strong food smell sealed well. We are camping in a motorhome, which has food inside. So if a bear want's in, they can get in, just take a few precautions and you will be fine.

Clean camp, no trash, no open food packages, wash dishes away from camp, cook away from sleeping area, have fun.

My curiosity is peaked. Where is this area you are referring to?

zracer

Banned
I have been warned in the past by camp hosts when I have left the locker open for any extended period of time that you can be fined. I believe that citation goes for any area with lockers.

https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/bear-safety.htm

Have you considered putting the dual battery system, inverter and all the energy source equipment inside the locker? That way you could shut the door and latch it.

You can pick up insulation at Home Depot/Lowes in the form of a water heater blanket for like $12 each. Then wrap the fridge over the top and bottom and another piece around the sides with a string or tape to hold it.

Magnum Johnson

Observer

I would just like to be safe and legal. Now normally safe and legal are two things that I treat as discretionary but when it comes to the safety of my family I wont chance it.

Magnum Johnson

Observer
Have you considered putting the dual battery system, inverter and all the energy source equipment inside the locker? That way you could shut the door and latch it.

You can pick up insulation at Home Depot/Lowes in the form of a water heater blanket for like $12 each. Then wrap the fridge over the top and bottom and another piece around the sides with a string or tape to hold it.

I guess im leaning towards at least one battery in the locker when the truck/FWC are not in camp but im still assuming I can run a wire into the locker when we are there.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
For me this is a challenge as well and largely depends on the site. In Yosemite Valley I put my ARB fridge in the bear locker with my Arkpak that is loaded with a 105AH AGM battery. I'll sometimes charge it with my 100w solar or put it in the truck while driving to charge. Now over by Mono Lake the bear lockers cannot be locked so I keep the fridge in the truck and covered up. You really only need to worry about issues in Yosemite because the bears have been accustomed to stupid humans. Oh and forget about running a power cord through the door or vent. It doesn't work as the doors seal tight enough to severely pinch or cut the cord.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Minor Hijack...

We stay about 1.5 hours North of you.

This was a visitor last year.

We head up in 3 weeks, so far, the snow is still too deep to make it in.

Attachments

• P1090736.JPG
    P1090736.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1090735.JPG
    P1090735.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12