From a Grand Cherokee To A.....

vartz04

Adventurer
dodge ram crew cab 4x4 ecodiesel with a camper top. Thats the only thing that is going to get close to what you want, obviously you won't have 3 rows of seating but what you are looking for doesn't exist. Maybe if they start putting the Colorado diesel in the Acadia/Traverse.

The ram will cost you about $50K + another 3 for the shell.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's mostly in the newer transmission gearing, our 03 2500 XL with intake and programmer for premium fuel can attain 17mpg with the cruise set at 72 on flat ground, but the newer 6 and 8 speed transmissions can easily get 20+ mpg due to finding the sweet spot much easier at lower rpm.
Yes, I think this is a big part of it. Another advantage of multi-speed transmissions is that it lets the vehicle itself run with a higher axle ratio. You can get away with a 3.30 axle ratio if you can make up for it with a couple of lower gears in the transmission, gears that are only needed to get the vehicle up to speed. I believe the GMT900 trucks with the 6 speed transmissions typically run higher axle ratios than the older ones with the 4 speed.
My gripe with the 4 speed auto is that it seems like there's a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. Lots of times (especially towing) 3rd is too high but 2nd is really too low.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes, I think this is a big part of it. Another advantage of multi-speed transmissions is that it lets the vehicle itself run with a higher axle ratio. You can get away with a 3.30 axle ratio if you can make up for it with a couple of lower gears in the transmission, gears that are only needed to get the vehicle up to speed. I believe the GMT900 trucks with the 6 speed transmissions typically run higher axle ratios than the older ones with the 4 speed.
My gripe with the 4 speed auto is that it seems like there's a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. Lots of times (especially towing) 3rd is too high but 2nd is really too low.

Oh I agree completely, when towing the boat it would be great to have a gear split between 2nd and 3rd on the hills, nothing sings like the engine dropping to 2nd gear to maintain 60mph. In my diesel it would be 3rd or 4th gear on the same hills, but it also had 4.10's instead of 3.73's.

malibubts

Adventurer
dodge ram crew cab 4x4 ecodiesel with a camper top. Thats the only thing that is going to get close to what you want, obviously you won't have 3 rows of seating but what you are looking for doesn't exist. Maybe if they start putting the Colorado diesel in the Acadia/Traverse.

The ram will cost you about $50K + another 3 for the shell.

I'd agree here. I think with the requirements on size you are looking at a Full Size or an SUV based off a Full Size platform. Then add the fuel economy onto that and the only vehicle left is the Ram EcoDiesel. They are also once again available as the EPA issues have been sorted out.

The Colorado/Canyon seems like it would be too small for the requirements. Ford has their diesel F150 coming, but it's still a year out. Rumor is Chevy/GMC is also working on something, but that isn't even announced yet so it would be even longer. I don't think you can get quite the fuel economy out of the Eco Boost either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior