Front Wheel Studs

sargeek

Adventurer
Greetings -
In the process of replacing the whole differential on my 99TJ. The used axle I found needs to have a few of the front studs replaced. The broken ones fall out easily, but the studs with galled threads are more difficult to remove, they are hitting the dust cover. Do you have to remove the entire hub assembly to replace the front wheel studs?

ExpoMike

I haven't had to replace any yet but I do believe you have to remove the hub to get out full length studs. You'll want to have the hub off so you can press in the new ones anyways.

sargeek

Adventurer
Poor Mans Method

I was hoping to use the poor mans method, stacking a coule of wahsers and use a flat nut to pull the stud into the axle.

kndrewa

since its a used axle, you might consider replacing the entire hub assembly.
i believe i got them for 60-80 dollars each the last time i changed mine.
however, its not something you'll have to do again for a long time..

..unfortunately, though, the wheel bearings/hub assemblies are a unit.
you can't service them or grease them, as they are sealed.

sargeek

Adventurer
The start

I am just trying to get the tj back into opeation - It started with replacing the rear differential that had a bearing gernade; and the jeep has had the springs replaced shocks replaced, new rear brakes. The new axle had 4.11 gearing in it which is a perfect match for the 31" tires.
I needed to change the gearing in the font axle to match and got the whole axle for cheap. Replaced shocks, sway bar disconnects and I am now about 85% done with the front exept for the studs. Just attempting to get it on the road again.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Depending on the age of the axle and other parts.. here's what I'd do

1.) pull the hubs and shafts (3 13mm 12pt bolts on the backside of the hub)
2.) knock the knuckles off
3.) Replace with the knuckles that came with your jeep.
4.) Put in whatever axles/hubs appear to be in the best shape and keep the other set as spares (hubs intact).

Jason

sargeek

Adventurer
Thanks for the help

the Tj is complete, just need to bleed the brakes and take it to the alignment shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12