FS/FT: Nimbl/XPCamper #14; 2007 Ram 3500 SLT Quad Cab - $155,000 Boulder CO

Pgopinath

I have had a few questions come in as PMs and I thought that it would be worth sharing my responses with the forum community:

Webasto Dualtop: I mentioned in my listing that the Dualtop is no longer sold in the US. There are authorized service centers in the US that will work on it. I have had mine serviced annually by Titan Vans in Boulder who are, quite fortuitously, a few miles from my house. However, if the main circuit board is fried or if the boiler is corroded through then there are no parts available anywhere. Your only option then is to replace a Daultop with two separate Webasto units with the attendant cost of rewiring and replumbing everything. If a Dualtop is consistently throwing error codes you are looking at an expensive replacement. A NIB Dualtop will occasionally show up for sale at fairly inflated prices but still cheaper than switching over to the later setup of separates. The key to long term survival of a Dualtop is diligently doing the following:
  • Performing the recommended monthly full bore burnoff whether you use it or not
  • Draining the unit when it is going to sit unused for any length of time. This prevents mineral buildup inside the boiler which leads to corrosion
  • Maintaining a regular schedule of descaling using a dilute solution of vinegar.
Webasto Cooktop: In my experience everything above applies to the Webasto cooktop except of course the descaling which is not relevant. If you use the cooktop at low temps you will get soot buildup which then causes the cooktop to fault out at the most inopportune times – like when you are trying to sell your spouse on the joys of overlanding in comfort. The cooktop take a while to come up to temp and it takes a fairly long time for the top glass surface to cool down to where it is safe to lower the top of the caper down without things melting/burning. I switched mine out for a True two burner induction cooktop and have been extremely pleased with it.

In the specific instance of my camper the inverter isn't large enough to run both the microwave and the cooktop simultaneously. So I installed a load prioritizer which routes the 120VAC to the microwave circuit and turns off the cooktop while the microwave is running. When the microwave is done the 120VAC is switched back to the cooktop circuit.

Composting toilet: Nimbl can install a urine-diverting composting toilet instead of the cassette toilet that is currently in place. It will require removing the current toilet, patching the various large openings in the fiberglass walls of the wet bath module and fitting the toilet in place. Nimbl will divert the urine discharge to the gray tank which is much better than strolling nonchalantly into a Burger King carrying a full urine bottle. In the past Nimbl installed the C-Head. But since C-Head is no longer in business I don't know what they use. I considered doing that but the notion wasn’t well received. I think urine diverting toilets are great if you can adapt your usage behaviors to the toilet. My wife and I werent prepared to do so. The recently announced ThinkTank toilet looks very promising in this regard.

Pgopinath

Additional questions and my responses:

Electrical top lift: Towards the latter stages of the manufacture of XPCampers they moved from hydraulically operated rams that lifted the top into position to electrically operated rams. The latter work but inevitably fail. The implementation is extremely complex and clumsy consisting of (as I understand it) flexible worm drives that snake to each corner inside the camper shell. These were so bad and failure prone that Nimbl only installs hydraulic mechanisms in their current builds. If you buy an XPCamper with the electrical top lifting mechanism budget $15k (I think) and a trip to Colfax. CA to have the lifting mechanism switched to hydraulics. If the electrical lift mechanism fails when you are out in the backcountry you are in trouble because moving any distance with the top fully or partially lifted will cause some serious and very expensive damage.

Li battery bank: I was asked about replacing the AGMs with LiFePO4 batteries. Yes it can be done and Nimbl will do it for you. But it is not a simple swap out since you will need to switch out the current alternator based DC-DC charging system and perhaps the current inverter-charger combo. I never felt the need for this and in my usage 600AH of new AGM was plenty of capacity. If I had to guess you would be looking at $6000 - $10,000 to do a proper switch out. In the case of my camper the Lifeline AGMS are new as of 2022 and are good for at least another five years with proper care

More solar: Nope. All the real estate on the roof has been used. You may be able to switch higher density/efficiency panels but I don't have the details of what is possible

Air conditioning for the habitat: This would be real nice to have especially for the first few hours of trying to sleep on a hot humid night. One of the new Dometic RTX2000/3000 units designed to fit in a 14x14 roof opening could be installed by getting rid of one of the Maxxfans. I know of other owners who have done this and have been happy with the results. You don't have to have a Li battery bank especially if you are only trying to cool it down for a few hours to get to sleep. I never explored the total cost of having someone do this for me. The habitat has excellent air flow with the windows and skylight opened, the zip down windows in the cabover bed area opened, and both MAxxfans running at low speed.

E

eugarps

Here’s a bump for a nice, reasonably priced rig. All the best with your sale.

Pgopinath

Couple of links to establish provenance.

1. I purchased my XP from Joe and Josee. See their amazing travels on their site at https://joeandjoseesjourney.com/ . The XP is prominently featured in their early years of travel. They are still at it and are currently somewhere in Thailand. I am proud to call them friends

2. This camper was featured in an REI sponsored documentary which subsequently was shown at multiple film festivals. There is some nice footage of the XP in some gorgeous terrain. https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/finding-our-wild

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan