Funtreks press release: MVUMs review

c.nordstrom

World Traveller Extraordinaire
MVUMs – Coming Soon to a Forest Near You!

"If you drive on forest roads and you don’t yet know about Motor Vehicle Use Maps, here’s some very helpful information.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) are in the process of being developed by the U.S. Forest Service as part of their nationwide travel management plan. When all MVUMs are finally issued, they will definitively identify every legal OHV route on U.S. Forest land. Although the program has taken longer than planned, maps are now starting to be issued, and many more are on the way.

We’ve been attempting to collect every MVUM as it is issued in order to verify the legality of trails in our books. Obtaining finished maps has been somewhat frustrating because the program is still in its early stages. Sometimes people answering the phone at ranger stations are not aware of the program. You may have to ask for the OHV coordinator.

Information is usually available on the forest’s Web site, but sometimes it takes a while to find it. The link below really saves a lot of time. It’s kind of a general clearinghouse for MVUMs for every forest in the U.S.
http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ohv_maps.shtml

The site lists only forests and states that have issued completed MVUMs. If your forest or state is not listed, it means there are not yet any completed MVUMs in your area. If your forest is listed, click on the link to see the available maps. Not all maps are printed; some have to be downloaded as a PDF file.

Of the four states my books cover, Arizona, California, Colorado and Utah, California and Colorado seem to have the most MVUMs done. Utah has a few and Arizona is not listed at all, yet.

If the maps are printed, call the closest ranger district and ask how to get one. In some cases, the maps must be picked up in person at the specific ranger district that issues them. In other cases, they will mail them to you. Each situation is different. You can also try the F.S. Supervisor’s office.

If the maps aren’t printed yet, you may be able to download them and review them on your computer. They are not easy to print because they are quite large. The largest we’ve found so far is 36 x 56 inches. We found a local print shop with a big printer that was able to print them for us at a reasonable cost.

Some districts have maps that are not yet final. They may show different alternatives or the map may say “DRAFT.” These maps are interesting to look at, but until everything is final, you can’t tell much.

Using MVUMs- the Pros and Cons

We’ve had a chance to use several MVUMs. Here’s our take so far:

Pro: If a trail appears on the map, we know it’s legal and we know what kind of vehicle is allowed on it. It is a great tool for us.

Con: If a trail does not appear on the map, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s illegal. For example, I noticed that the popular “Iron Chest Trail” (in Colorado) does not appear on its designated MVUM. I asked the Forest Service “why” and they said this trail is on private land and not under their jurisdiction; therefore, they ignore it. I also noticed that “Pearl Pass” was not shown as an open OHV road. In this case, it’s a county road, over which the Forest Service has no jurisdiction. In both of these examples, the roads are still open and being used by the public.

Con: MVUMs are not necessarily designed to be user-friendly. Their primary purpose is as a legal document to clearly identify what’s open. No longer does legal status of a trail depend on signage or gates. The maps are supposed to remove all ambiguity in a court of law, thereby making law enforcement easier.

Con: In most cases, each ranger district does a separate map. Roads shown on the map stop at the district boundaries. Another map is needed for an adjacent district. Sometimes you need several maps to follow the complete length of a trail. In a few cases, the forest combines all districts into one big map.

Con: The large size of the maps makes them awkward to use and because they are paper, they tear easily.

Con: Not all roads are shown on the maps—just what’s necessary to get to the trail. County roads, which are typically wider than forest roads, appear as lesser faint gray lines. Orienting yourself can sometimes be confusing.

Pro: The maps are updated every year. If you have a favorite trail that has been closed, make your case to the Forest Service and fight to get it opened. If enough people feel the same way, there’s always a chance.

Pro: The maps are FREE!

Final Comments:

We’ve looked over about a half dozen MVUMs in Colorado and checked them against the trails in our books. So far, we haven’t found any closed trails. However, we are a bit nervous about some forests that have not yet issued MVUMs. For example, the White River N.F. has several alternatives shown online. Some alternatives are missing a few trails that are in our books. Until everything is finalized, however, we can’t do much.

We think most MVUMs will be completed in the next two years. We’re asking our customers to keep their ears to the ground. If you can’t find a trail from our book on a printed MVUM, please let us know so we can post it on our Web site.

Thanks everyone. Hope you’re having fun out there."

http://www.funtreks.com

off.track

Adventurer
oh cool. i have only found the mvums in each particular NF.. every single one i have looked at has been in pdf format.. i'm considering printing them all on 24x36 sheets, especially the ones i need for planning.

also, when DL these maps, make sure to DL the road/trail data.. not all are part of the maps.. some are a seperate document. you need those especially for the "seasonal" designated roads. dates of openings and closing are posted. BUT don't be surprised when you get to a supposedly open road and find out that the gate is locked. also, it seems many of these seasonal roads are only open when they are inaccecible. nice trick there from FS..

as to trail closures: all decisions are final until 10 years from a couple of years ago when FS will go through the whole inventory and reavaluete all the roads. at least that is what my local FS ranger is telling the public here. here there is 0 chance of them opening anything and as a matter of fact the FS tends to go behind everyone's back working to close roads that are beyond their jurisdiction.

off.track

Adventurer
well shoot.. i just noticed that some of the mvums from your link are a couple of years out of date.. so i guess to get the up to date ones one will still have to go to each particular NF site and look under recreation.

Pad

Adventurer
Thanks for the update Chuck! I've been researching similar situation for MN.
Beginning to work with the DNR, forestry, and MN4WDA to come up with a more
user friendly map for MN.
Hoping sometime to link to the 5-state area for extended trips or pass-through travelers.
There's alot of info out their and alot of people seem to be buzzing about this type of traveling.
Great to see your site simplifying it for the SW travelers.

Pad

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very cool info...\
Big thanks to Funtreks for checking it against the books so those of us who have them or tell others to buy them can know we are still legal.

I will have to take a closer look at the maps and see if they can be used with Oziexplorer. I have scanned some paper maps in the past and been able to geo-reference them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior