Furnace Help - Old Atwood won't light up

subterran

Adventurer
Hi,
When I bought this camper, I tested the furnace and it was working at that time. The only thing I have done that might at all effect it was move the battery - but I hooked it back into the existing electrical system so I doubt that is the problem.

This is an old Atwood hydroflame, with a manual-light pilot. The instructions say: Open gas valves, turn thermostat to 'on'. turn thermostat to maximum. After blower comes on, wait 5 minutes. Put furnace valve on 'pilot', and push in while striking the piezo igniter. Hold knob down until pilot stays lit on it's own. Turn valve to 'On'.

I've held and struck until I'm blue in the face, and it won't light. I also don't know where to look to see the pilot flame. There is no clue in the directions. I just strike it about 10 times, then turn the knob to 'on', and feel if warm air starts coming out...

Is it possible to bypass the piezo igniter, and use a lighter to strike the pilot - thus proving a bad piezo?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
You have to hold the knob down in the pilot for a while before the thermocouple heats up enough to keep it lit. try hold it for 30 seconds before turning to on.

EDIT: this is just in general for manual pilots. Not familiar with the atwood itself.

Dawgboy

Adventurer
So I have had spiders set up a nest in the little tube that is behind the orifice. This is actually very common. Clean out the mess and suddenly the heater/ water heater works again.

Also tins of links to schematics for these over in the RVnet forums.

Good luck!

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes, spiders are problems there. You should be able to follow the pilot gas tube and use a long match at the terminus to confirm that gas is flowing.

rambrush

Adventurer
Also bird nests in intake and or exhaust. You should see the tube coming off of the gas valve and follow it inside, that is the point where you will need to light it off. The t stat is only a couple of wires and has power in and goes out to open gas valve, No power = no gas

subterran

Adventurer
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll tear into it and see if there are some clogs. Here is a picture - there is a hole where it says 'push to light' about where the 'gh' in 'light' is. Is that where you can see the pilot lit? (Stupid photo is sideways, sorry!)
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior