Fuso FG 140: Converting Short WB to Long WB

SuperVan

Forager
Hunting an older (05-07) Fuso FG, and I seem to be finding the Short Wheel Base more often than the long at a rate of 5 to 1.

Anyone here have experience with converting one or having it converted from said SWB to LWB?

I have been in touch with two companies. One quoted about $10K, and the other around $4.5K~

Mostly concerned with keeping the integrity (strength) intact as I am off the roads as much as on.

Thanks

KJ

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hunting an older (05-07) Fuso FG, and I seem to be finding the Short Wheel Base more often than the long at a rate of 5 to 1.

Anyone here have experience with converting one or having it converted from said SWB to LWB?

I have been in touch with two companies. One quoted about $10K, and the other around $4.5K~

Mostly concerned with keeping the integrity (strength) intact as I am off the roads as much as on.

Thanks

KJ

I have a 18" frame extension on mine. I think it all depends on whether you are willing to do the work yourself. $10k seems way out of line.

I would think that the extension could be fabricated for $600-700 or so, then the install... about the only other things you need to change are brake lines and driveshaft, and a good driveshaft shop can extend a driveshaft for a not huge amount of $... As a DIY I think you would come in under $2k parts, so a shop charging $4.5k with their labor in there is probably a pretty reasonable price.

From experience I can tell you that the frame extension is not what is going to break your truck in half. :)

SuperVan

Forager
I thought $10K was a bit much too. That was from EC but they are busy up there and that might be what it takes for their crew to do that. Thus the second quote and search for a second opinion. Was really hoping to find someone that had gone through the motion.

My future plan and the reason for the LWB search is I plan on a Earth Cruiser build eventually.

Cozumel...There are a few FG's out there, but rust and hard use are common. Searching for that well cared for unit in my year range.

Robinson Fuso, are you built on the SWB and are you speaking of an extension to that or are you LWB?

K

SuperVan

Forager
Thanks for the link RF~

I have new truck envy after seeing how clean that rig is. And the extension is SUPER clean. Wow! Wonder if he might take my project on...

K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior