FWC Newbie

• Thread starter Wandering Sagebrush
  • Start date
W

Wandering Sagebrush

Greets,

We just ordered a Granby to go on our F250 7.3 that we bought new in 1999. We're selling the old Fleetwood Caribou (Caribooboo - poorly made). The Granby will be used for my photo expeditions, plus as a second option when pulling the CDory or Airstream.

For options, we went with dual batteries, solar, 10 ft Yakima, furnace, compressor refrigerator, LED lights, wall steps, thermal pack, fantastic, gas struts and corner jacks. Also getting another solar plug to add rear floods at a later date. We'll use the porta potti off the boat, plus a Yakima rocket box on top.

I'm looking for recommendations about additional storage (hitch basket ?), inverters, and anything else that might be helpful. So, your input will be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to get it on the truck. A winter trip to Arches NP just might be in order.

Regards and thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Welcome and congrats!!! We love our Grandby. Sounds like you got all the nice options. You might consider added the awning as it makes it really nice to have a quick, shady area. Also do the screen door now as you have to replace the whole door if you ever want to add it. We use it all the time.

Hope you'll post up some pics when you get it. :)

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Mike, thanks! We did order the screen door, but will wait on the awning. I've got a couple of light tarps and poles for the interim. I want to put an inverter in, but have a small plug in unit that will serve until I find what I'm looking for.

I'm also looking for a good way of carrying gear like the generator, extra fuel and water. I like the setup that Tom Hannagan has on the back of his Tacoma, but don't want to modify the truck. I guess that leaves a hitch basket, as I don't want that weight on the top of the Granby.

Photos to follow...

Steve

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Greets,

We just ordered a Granby to go on our F250 7.3 that we bought new in 1999. We're selling the old Fleetwood Caribou (Caribooboo - poorly made). The Granby will be used for my photo expeditions, plus as a second option when pulling the CDory or Airstream.

For options, we went with dual batteries, solar, 10 ft Yakima, furnace, compressor refrigerator, LED lights, wall steps, thermal pack, fantastic, gas struts and corner jacks. Also getting another solar plug to add rear floods at a later date. We'll use the porta potti off the boat, plus a Yakima rocket box on top.

I'm looking for recommendations about additional storage (hitch basket ?), inverters, and anything else that might be helpful. So, your input will be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to get it on the truck. A winter trip to Arches NP just might be in order.

Regards and thanks in advance!

Steve

I use a hitch basket all the time with our Grandby. It works great for the fire wood BBQ etc..I have found that the amount of water it holds is plenty for 3-4 days easily. I am with EXPOMIKE, the awning is one of the best adds. Enjoy!!

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Welcome to the FWC Family.

Have a fun & safe Thanksgiving!

:)

Attachments

• Boat with FWC camper.jpg
    Boat with FWC camper.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Trailer and truck with FWC.jpg
    Trailer and truck with FWC.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 13

CKent323

Check out the Aluminess swing out rear bumpers with tire carrier and storage. Expensive but appear to be well made.

http://www.aluminess.com/dodge/dodge-ram-2010-2013/rear-bumper/

We have an FWC Keystone on a Dodge and we like to leave the tailgate on to protect the bottom of the camper overhang as well as use it as an entry ledge and step. I am trying to figure out how to adapt one of these rear bumpers (or a custom equivalent) to fit my truck and camper (this is one case where the extra overhang of the Keystone is a problem). We would really like to have the bumper mounted storage box to carry a small generator, extra fuel, recovery gear and my tool box (to get that stuff out of the camper) along with a second spare tire (one is mounted under the bed). We would like to put a rack on top of the box to carry our two bikes as well.

Regards,

Craig

W

Wandering Sagebrush

Stan and Craig: thanks! The Ranger tug and Airstream are great behind a FWC! I would love to have the Aluminess gate on the back of the truck for solo (non-towed) trips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman