G3n 3 STOK3!

spacecowboy7777

Newest 2002 limited Gen 3 owner here, been a long time coming and I couldn't be more excited.

My use case:
Weekend road trips with 2-6 hours of highway before relatively easy 4x4 roads, fire roads, and deep sandy desert conditions. Also, needs to be able to haul a dirt bike on the hitch or a couple dirt bikes on a trailer. I wanted AC and an auto transmission, as well as possibility to sleep inside the truck if wind is bad at night.

I had a 1995 gen 2 LS, 5-speed for 3 years and drove it everywhere with the same above use. The gen 2 looks way cooler than the gen 3, both from the outside and inside with the "oh $&#@" bar instead of a passenger airbag and the cool 90's interior. Also, that thing romped off road, even with just the center locking diff, it killed it in the sand and never got stuck. But the AC was not strong enough in 95+ desert temps, the 5 speed got old when in traffic, and my girlfriend was a nervous about the safety of the vehicle when we were cruising at 80 on the highway. I sold it at 240,000 miles on it because work allowed me to start use their truck for personal purposes. Left that job and now need my own vehicle again.

Chose to search for a gen 3 because of the better highway manors, incredibly powerful AC, and newer, so easier to find parts and expertise. Also simply wanted to try something new.
Bought this 2002 limited after the timing tensioner had let go at 154,000 miles. The previous owner attempted to put a new timing set on, but he got a low compression symptom. Sold it to me for a fair price, and I had it towed to my mechanic for both cylinder heads to be machined and rebuilt.

I will keep a running total of the money spent on this rig. I think this can help people gauge pricing, though these may be high prices because of my HCOL area.

Running Price total:
Initial purchase: $3,000
Top end rebuild with new radiator, all new hydraulic lifters, heads machined, etc.: $4,500
4 Falken 265/70r16 H/T Tires: $900
Alignment: $120
New airbox: $100 from ebay

Here we are the day I bought it:
IMG_1016.JPEG

IMG_1017.JPEG

After 3 months, my mechanic still hadn't even started, so I started calling around. After multiple phone calls to auto shops all over San Diego County and beyond, I had it towed to Rally Sport Engineering in Costa Mesa because the owner/lead mechanic used to have a gen 3 himself and conveyed confidence in his abilities with the Montero and Mitsubishis. They had the heads pulled, machined, and reinstalled with new timing set and new radiator along with a smog check from the place across the street within 1.5 weeks of my towing it to them. All OEM and Aisin parts were used where possible. Unfortunately, while at the first mechanic, the truck was sideswiped by a local utilities company. On the bright side, the money they gave me paid for all the mechanic work.

Picked up the truck and drop an hour home on the highway. Truck runs great with a few exceptions: Tires are old as heck and loud as heck. Also, there is a massive lift on the front and the truck feels like it needs an alignment. This is the day I picked it up at the shop:
IMG_1821.JPEGIMG_1822.JPEG

Last edited:

spacecowboy7777

Check out these old KO1 tires: You can also see the uneven wear from too high a lift and bad alignment.
IMG_1870.JPEGIMG_1871.JPEG
IMG_1869.JPEG

In my attempt to increase mileage and make highway driving as comfy as possible, I went with an offroad-ish highway tire from Falken in the stock size. I also took the 2" spacer out of the front and got an alignment:
IMG_2149.JPEG

These tires are silent and smooth, but don't feel mushy at all. I highly recommend these.

spacecowboy7777

Some comparisons to my old Gen 2: The interior and entire truck feels sturdier with noticeably better quality and construction. Less creeks, more solid feels on everything you touch. Driving experience is night and day. This feels solid, planted, and smooth on the road with precise steering. 80mph down the highway feels like a cakewalk. AC is fantastic. The 5 speed auto is smooth and comfy, though not sporty at all. Engine is enough and ultra smooth, but again, not sporty. This should make a comfy highway cruiser. Good for long road trips. There's still some work to do here, but I'm very happy so far.

Had a vibration around 2000-2500 rpm. Took the 'dampers' off the transmission and rear axle and the vibes have been reduced by 90% or more. There is still a slight vibe at those rpms which I believe will be solved by new transmission crossmember bushings. I've got OEM bushings on order from Luso Overland for $45 shipped. I'll let you know if it completely solves the last of those vibrations. Here are the weights I removed that solved most of the vibes: IMG_1879.JPEG

Last edited:

spacecowboy7777

Gen 3 montero transmission vibration fix: Start with removing the dampers as posted above. There are two of them. One hanging off the transmission, one hanging off the rear axle. Just removing both of those cut the vibration by more than half. Still, I had a vibration that was between 2000 and 2500 rpms and irrespective of vehicle speed. Turns out there are rubber bushings at the attachment points between the transmission crossmember and the monocoque chassis. When these bushings shrink after 25 years of service, the crossmember and transmission and engine are free to vibrate and right around the early 2000s rpm there is a resonance that can be felt throughout the cabin.

Here are two shots showing the upper and lower bushings on the crossmember:
IMG_2155.JPEG
IMG_2156.JPEG

And after I removed it:
IMG_2159.JPEG

You can see the top bushings are actually in pretty good shape. But the lower bushings, which actually support the weight of the tranny, are compressed compared to new OEM:
IMG_2160.JPEG
IMG_2161.JPEG

Cleaned off the metal sleeves with some scotch bright. Not perfect, but I just couldn't put them back in so dirty:
IMG_2166.JPEG

All lubed up and ready for reassembly:
IMG_2167.JPEG

I used this for the lube. Again, probably don't even need lube, but I had it available:
IMG_2169.JPEG

And now my tranny vibration is completely gone. Super happy with the results.

Now that these vibes are gone, the truck is perfectly smooth up to about 50mph. Beyond 50 I get a slight rumble during acceleration from the rear end regardless of rpm. Still chasing that down on here: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...-rear-end-rumble-vibration-over-50mph.242616/

Last edited:

spacecowboy7777

Pulled the second row seats and slept in the truck pretty comfortably in the desert. I'm 6'2" for reference. Truck towed a 1200lb trailer with two dirt bikes and all gear no problem up and down mountains. Upped the tire PSI from 31 to ~45 all the way around. Really increased the stability and reduced body roll. These tires are "XL" rated which means they're lighter than an "E" truck tire, but slightly heavier than an "SL" car tire. Up to 51 PSI and plenty of load capacity.

IMG_2256.JPEG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior