Gear Ratios

Clutch

<---Pass
But note there is an advantage to spending money for looks... you get the image you want and you spend money which keeps businesses running which gets more products on the shelves and the economy keeps going - good for all of us LOL.

If anything the whole keeping up with the Joneses street cred to look cool will keep our fiat currency based economy all propped up on credit going just a touch longer before it it crashes again.

Next fire sale is going to be ahhhhsum! All those bedazzled jean wearing urban cowboys with their gas guzzling mortgaged to the hilt all hat no cattle pick-em-up trucks will be be deemed worthless. Grab one of those for pennies on the dollar, yee-haw! Heck, the last time whole brand names went under. Almost lost a couple major brands if it weren't for government bailouts. Hummer anyone? Don't think you can even give those away still.... :)

My wife used to work at E-Recycling place...I remember when the Hummer dealer sign came through. April 14th, 2011 according the picture I have.

Was only $600 too!

215854_10150160964044630_5699377_n.jpg
207228_10150160963794630_787405_n.jpg

Last edited:

roving1

Even though I just went from 30.5" stock tires on a 1st gen 2.7 manual with 4:10's to 32" and 4:56 it totally transformed the truck. My overall final gearing is a bit more than stock with this combo.

Before loaded to the gills headwinds and hills constantly had me downshifting to 4th. At slow speeds and light to medium throttle there was little 'eager' acceleration. Always a bit of a dead spot after up shifting and very often needing to tip into more throttle to initiate earnest acceleration.

After I almost never need to shift down to 4th. I recently drove from Detroit to Montana with zero 5 to 4 shift that were the vehicle's fault as opposed to traffic. Under light throttle it actually wants to accelerate after grabbing a higher gear. MPG went from 15-17 to 18-20. It also completely changed my desire to diesel swap in the future. I am completely OK with the power I have and 20MPG @72-73MPH. Sure I will be running slow up the real mountain grades but I am OK with that if I get reliability and simplicity.

Gotta say the earlier autos and newer gen trucks in general have awful gear ratios. Axle, trans, it all just sucks. I used to think people were over gearing them after modding but when I looked at the numbers and drove a few I finally understood.

Reactions: bkg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman