Gen 2 rear diff for Gen 1

JAVYPRO

Observer
I am looking to swap the rear diff out of a Gen 2 into a Gen 1, does anyone know the year and if it is from the sport?

Javy

CharlieNorth

If I were doing this I would select an axle from a 3.0 powered rig keeping the smaller gearset, essentially replacing what you have while gaining the disk brakes as desired.
I am on the wrong computer to check P/Ns If I recall the axle shaft/bearing assembly unbolts along with the caliper brackets such that the full housing does not need to be changed. Need to check the parts to be sure if I am right on that.

ND87Raider

I’ve got an 87 Dodge Raider 2.6 liter automatic (which is just a Montero/Pajero imported for Dodge) that I’m wanting to do the same thing to. If you can find an 89 rear axle with coil springs anywhere that would be the easiest option but I don’t think it has the disc brakes. I also know there are several other Gen 2 models that are a direct bolt up that has the disc brakes I just don’t remember exactly which years. I’ve been trying to find that information. I know you can use the SR’s just don’t know what year models, and I know some of the Montero Sport models will work too. I think 97-99 will work but just not sure. 4x4 wire used to have tons of info on this but it no longer exists unfortunately. If anyone happens to have that information I sure would appreciate it.

Oso

Forest Defecator
Gen 2 LS rear end will work. Gen 1 diff pumpkin will drop right in. This is my current set up to gain disc brakes and keep my existing ARB.

CharlieNorth

Gen 2 LS rear end will work. Gen 1 diff pumpkin will drop right in. This is my current set up to gain disc brakes and keep my existing ARB.
Gen 2 are all coil sprung 9" or 9.5 diff rigs, the 2.6 rigs are all leaf sprung with an 8" gearset, not to mention axle shaft lenght. could you expand on how your proposed swap would work?

Oso

Forest Defecator
Gen 2 are all coil sprung 9" or 9.5 diff rigs, the 2.6 rigs are all leaf sprung with an 8" gearset, not to mention axle shaft lenght. could you expand on how your proposed swap would work?
OP has coils and he wants disc brakes. Unless I missed something?

That mean he needs a complete 2 rear end. If he wants to keep the same gears then his gen 1 diff will bolt into an LS. Or he could just leave the gen 2 diff in there and run it.

I have a gen 1 with coils. I swapped a gen 1 diff into a gen 2 LS rear end - because I wanted disc brakes, 3” track width, and my existing ARB.

That said, you ARE Charlie North. If I’m wrong then I’m happy to bow to your expertise. It’s been awhile since we’ve rubbed elbows. I was “Mongo” back in the wire days. You helped me diagnose a phantom miss. Another time you mentioned that LS discs are thinner than SR discs and won’t grab well or for very long. I had just finished the brake upgrade a few days before and had used LS discs because that’s what the local place had in stock. Between you and Fast Eddy (and the rest of them -except plh) I learned a lot. Thanks for that. Nice to see you’re still around helping the community and sharing your knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12