Gen III front tire 4WD lights blinking

JAVYPRO

Observer
Hey guys. Driving the Gen III today I noticed the corny tires 4WD lights started blinking and the heard a grinding noise as if it was trying to engage. I was under 65 mph so I shifted into 4H and it went away but the lights are still blinking. Tried to shift into 4L, went on reverse etc and nothing. The lights are still blinking. What could it be?
Thanks,
Javy

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
One of the easiest starting points (and good maintenance), is applying dielectric grease to the connections for the transfer case. These can build up corrosion after years of use. Give each connection a visual inspection, clean as needed, apply dielectric grease, and snap them back into place.

The front disconnect solenoids are not very expensive, if that's the issue.

Cheers

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Not sure about the Gen-3 system vs Gen-2, but I believe the principal is that when not in 4wd, the vacuum system keeps the system from engaging by constantly resisting the force of a spring forced actuator, part of the front diff clutch. So if the system fails, it “fails” into perma-4wd. When you shift into any 4x4 mode, it cuts vacuum and lets the spring engage the clutch. So if the system is “partially failing”, it is slowly losing power over that spring and I guess I could see that potentially causing problems. Overall though it’s a simple system, mine is 25 years old and works great all I ever did to mine was snip the tips of all the vacuum lines to tighten them up…….

Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
Not sure about the Gen-3 system vs Gen-2, but I believe the principal is that when not in 4wd, the vacuum system keeps the system from engaging by constantly resisting the force of a spring forced actuator, part of the front diff clutch. So if the system fails, it “fails” into perma-4wd. When you shift into any 4x4 mode, it cuts vacuum and lets the spring engage the clutch. So if the system is “partially failing”, it is slowly losing power over that spring and I guess I could see that potentially causing problems. Overall though it’s a simple system, mine is 25 years old and works great all I ever did to mine was snip the tips of all the vacuum lines to tighten them up…….

Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah, I believe it is the same.

JAVYPRO

Observer
Hey guys, could it be a leak on the vacuum system as well. When I rebuilt the engine I found a broken vacuum line, I replaced it but I guess I should have done the same with all the lines. Oh well, I switch it to 4wd and drove it around and the light went away but I am checking all the connectors and the lines.

Will keep y'all posted.

Thanks,
Javy

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
These are also known to get "stuck" when not used for extended periods. The vacuum connections control the front axle disconnect for free-wheel. The other connectors control the transfer case functions. Regular exercise of the system keeps it in better condition.

Also, is this a 01-02 XLS or LTD/03+? The XLS uses a traditional shift lever which should only have an issue with the vacuum lines.
Limited and later models have the electronic transfer case.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Good deal. I also replaced some of the vacuum lines when I did mine. Glad it was a simple fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior