General Trailer Tire and CDN M101 Hub Question

quantum73

Adventurer
Currently I have a CDN M101 setup behind my 2011 Tacoma. The Tacoma is running 285x75r16 Duratracs, and the trailer is on my old Jeep tires/wheels. I intend to convert the hubs over to match the Toyota 6-lug, and run the same size tire as the Tacoma so that regardless of the brand of tire, at least they will all be the same size. My question is this:

While I like the look and idea of running 285x75r16 Duratracs on the trailer, am I just wasting my money on Duratracs for the trailer? I really do know the answer and that is as long as I run a common size on the truck and trailer, there are better tires to run on the trailer. So if that is in fact the answer, what tires have people run on their trailer that had a good combination of price, performance, and longevity? I am not hauling huge amounts of weight but obviously durability is a big plus.

Now, on to the bonus question. Lol Is anyone aware of a retrofit hub that will bolt on to the CDN M101 that not only matches the Toyota 6-lug pattern, but also has electric brakes? I don't want to replace the axle but I do like the idea of some additional braking power in the trailer. I do have a 7-pin harness on the truck and trailer currently so controlling them would not be an issue.

TIA!

Last edited:

quantum73

Adventurer
No opinions at all on trailer tires? Is everyone just putting the cheapest they can find or simply matching the hauling vehicle?

CTD-WAGGY

not to hijack your thread, but I have the same questions....
I'm building a scratch built trailer with 6 lug hubs. I tried some stock yota rims and 225-16 tires but the offset is wrong for my project. I'm thinking of running centered offset "trailer" rims and tires. It's not like the trailer needs "mudders" to follow my wagon.
IMG_6480.jpg

shakotankei

Observer
I think people try to run the same size/style tire just so they can share a spare. Maybe even include them into their tire rotation? I just ran the stock CDN M101 tires until I could find some used tires in a similar size to my 28575/16 KM2s on the LC. I found some 255/85/16 KM2s on craiglist with 60% tread life for like $75 a pop. Idea being that in a pinch I could use my 285 spare for the trailer. Now I just carry a spare 255 on my second swingout dedicated for the trailer :elkgrin:
I didn't go with brand new tires mostly because I have a feeling the trailer tires will probably die of sun rot before I put enough miles on it during trips to wear them down at the same pace as my 80 (daily driver).

I believe Dexter makes a hub that has electric brakes. You lose the hand brake ability unless you can find/figure-out that one hard to find part# I've seen people mention. The previous owner of my M101 CDN kept the trailer almost completely stock but did upgrade the hubs to electrics. I then bought this to convert the hubs to 6 on 5-1/2".

Now heres the bonus information:

The replacement drum is in the correct bolt pattern and lug centric. Now this is great if you have lug centric rims just use the supplied conical nuts and you are in business. In my case I'm running later model 80 series rims, 40th anniversary wheels to be exact. Hub centric and uses those funky shank washer nut things. M12-1.5 threaded ones. The replacement Dexter drum has 1/2"-20 studs. :( My solution was to pickup some Spidertrax 1.25" spacers. This created a lip for my rims to center off and use the same lug nuts that the Land Cruiser uses. As an added bonus it also brought the trailers track width a lot closer to the 80's width. Now I just need to fix the fenders as the stock fenders only cover 1/3 of the rubber.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 38

CTD-WAGGY

nice setup! I have not built fenders yet due to not having the right tire/wheel combo. I do like the trailer wheels matching the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears