Genuine Roof Rack top bar removal?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I just traded my Front Runner Roof Rack for a Genuine Land Rover Roof Rack. I'm back and forth on removing the top tail. How hard is it to remove? just drill out the Rivets? I know some people over done it, I just don't want to mess it up. @Dendy Jarrett
IMG_2628.jpg

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey Hey - Yes, drill out the rivets. Photograph first and save the parts - easy to reassemble if you ever want to go back to the original look. I loved the more "front-runner-esque" look of it low and flat and it was much quieter in the cabin as well.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Awesome thanks for getting back to me on it. I think I’m going to get the drill out Saturday

NorthwestDriver

Curious what the benefit of the OEM rack is over the Front Runner? I’ve always liked the fit and finish of the OEM basket, but I’d think you’d lose a lot of that by removing the top rail, so I assume the platform itself is better in some way?

I keep waiting for an OEM rack to surface for sale semi-locally. Unfortunately they are always attached to 3 tons of steel and glass!

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The OEM Rack is much lighter than the Front Runner. The advantage to removing the top rail is that it still much lower to the roof you lose no usability, most modern racks do not have top bars. With some light modification most front runner attachments can work on the OEM. I only have my solar panel, recovery boards and occasionally my kayak on the roof so I don't need something super heavy like the Front Runner unit. Front Runner is also super loud and make the sunroof raddle with wind buffing.

NorthwestDriver

Thanks for the explanation, I knew there was more to it.

My ARB half rack is 63lbs, that eats up a lot of the roof loading, so I can understand wanting to limit rack weight. I’m fabricating my own mounts for it to connect to the OEM rails so as to keep it as tight as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12