Gladiator battery management

Maloppa

Observer
Greetings, searched the forum and couldn't find any threads on battery management. This can probably be a multi Jeep model question, but what system / set up does anyone have strong opinions on for dual battery mounting and management in the Gladiator? At current, I'm planning to build this truck to off road and pull a small camper. Thanks for the input.

smbisig

Adventurer
If you are looking for an underhood dual system, then the Genesis system seems to be the most popular.

If you are mounting the battery in the cab, bed, or trailer and want the ability to input solar power, then I can't recommend the REDARC BCDC systems more.

I personally run the BCDC in my Gladiator that manages a 200AH Lithium battery mounted in my camper. The system also includes 210W worth of solar panels mounted to the roof of the camper. The system has worked perfectly for over a year now.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My 2c is that the Genesis system is the way dual batteries were done in the 60s.
It works, but it's horribly inefficient and you can't have a lithium battery, so you're stuck with batteries that are twice as big and weigh twice as much.

The Redarc is good, but it costs 5x more than the competition.

Here's what I did. All the same functionality, flawless operation, and a fraction of the cost

Happy to help if you have any questions

-Dan

OliverPhotograph

To ensure that you always have a backup power source while using your vehicle's accessories, a dual battery isolator is a great choice. This type of isolator charges your auxiliary battery while driving but prevents it from draining your main battery when the vehicle is turned off. This setup reduces the risk of draining your main battery and guarantees uninterrupted power supply.

A battery monitor is another alternative that can display real-time battery health and status. This solution is especially valuable when off-roading, where you may use your accessories for extended periods requiring close monitoring of the battery levels.

When choosing where to locate your battery, keep in mind to select a secure and easily accessible location that doesn't hinder your car's weight distribution or performance. While many Jeep owners prefer mounting their secondary batteries under the hood or in the bed of the vehicle, the decision depends entirely on your set-up's specific needs and personal preferences.

My 2c is that the Genesis system is the way dual batteries were done in the 60s.
It works, but it's horribly inefficient and you can't have a lithium battery, so you're stuck with batteries that are twice as big and weigh twice as much.

The Redarc is good, but it costs 5x more than the competition.

Here's what I did. All the same functionality, flawless operation, and a fraction of the cost

Happy to help if you have any questions

-Dan
+1 to Dan’s recommendation. I’ve done almost the same setup in my Gladiator. Only major difference is that I mounted my battery and supporting electronics to a panel in my bed (inside of my Alu-Cab canopy).

Maloppa

Observer
Excellent info! As we narrow the search for an "off road" trailer, the wife is leaning towards a model that has more amenities and will need more power. So building the system to support the trailer, but then be utilized if tent camping in areas trailer won't make it is the goal.

4000lbsOfGoat

Excellent info! As we narrow the search for an "off road" trailer, the wife is leaning towards a model that has more amenities and will need more power. So building the system to support the trailer, but then be utilized if tent camping in areas trailer won't make it is the goal.
Highly recommend the RedArc BCDC 1212 for charging the trailer batteries on the go. It works with a standard 7-pin connector, so there is no need for extra wiring between tow rig and trailer. It isn't a super high-power charger but it will at very least make up for any power that a fridge might consume along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears